• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Impacted Boar ( guinea pig question)

kerry-123

Mama Doe
Last time Toby was at the vets he was a bit impacted and now I think he is again. His poo's aren't as long and "pellet like" as they used to be they are quite short and oddly shaped, I'm taking him for a check-up soon. But how can you help avoid them getting impacted I've heard this is a problem with male piggys (ps I will ask some gp questions here because I cant find a good guinea pig forum >.< so hope you don't mind!)
Him and Heidi are fed
Supa guinea pig food, with some "selective" food mixed in, hay (ofc), spinach/carrot (with the green tops) is normally the veg that they get or brocolli. Any advice?

I have an account there and it wont work anymore and everytime I try to make a new one they never send me a conformation email.

That's weird - that forum is usually a very good one. The guinea lynx website is also helpful.
Sorry I can;t be of any help but hope you get it sorted soon.
There are lots of experienced gp owners on here soon so hopefully they;l be along soon.....or you coudl try posting this in general chat too?

good luck
xx

That's weird - that forum is usually a very good one. The guinea lynx website is also helpful.
Sorry I can;t be of any help but hope you get it sorted soon.
There are lots of experienced gp owners on here soon so hopefully they;l be along soon.....or you coudl try posting this in general chat too?

good luck
xx

yeah I loved that forum but one day it just stopped working for me lol!! Really annoying >.<

I have had 2 boars with this issue over the years and to be honest it is horrible as you do need to assist them. The smell is awful and has made me wretch in the past. We (I mean my partner as I only stood back during the procedure) lay the guinea on his back over the toilet and then used a wet cotton wool bud and a gentle squeeze to ease out the impacted pellet. Be careful when you do it as the guinea might squeal, don't overdo it but get out as much as you can. Warming the area slightly with warm cotton wool seems to help.

In our experience the impaction never really goes away but the frequency of having to assist often changes. Sometimes we have had to do the procedure once a week and then sometimes they only need help once a month. Just leaving the problem will ultimately kill the pig so it is important to help them and regularly check the nether regions. It is only the boars that get this problem.

I have had 2 boars with this issue over the years and to be honest it is horrible as you do need to assist them. The smell is awful and has made me wretch in the past. We (I mean my partner as I only stood back during the procedure) lay the guinea on his back over the toilet and then used a wet cotton wool bud and a gentle squeeze to ease out the impacted pellet. Be careful when you do it as the guinea might squeal, don't overdo it but get out as much as you can. Warming the area slightly with warm cotton wool seems to help.

In our experience the impaction never really goes away but the frequency of having to assist often changes. Sometimes we have had to do the procedure once a week and then sometimes they only need help once a month. Just leaving the problem will ultimately kill the pig so it is important to help them and regularly check the nether regions. It is only the boars that get this problem.

Oh God I was afraid of that...I was at the vets once when she did it and I nearly threw up =| and my stomach can handle alot lol !!

I have an account there and it wont work anymore and everytime I try to make a new one they never send me a conformation email.

I have had a similiar problem with the website.

When I get piggies in who have impaction problems I slowly reduce their pellets so that they are getting a tiny, tiny amount only, I encourage hay or grass eating and give them fresh veg which are high in vitamin C. Sometimes adding a sprinkling of bran does reduce this problem so that they do not need clearing out so reguarly. I have had the odd piggie who has not required any assistance once getting on to a good high fibre intake.

Often a pig which has slimmed down has less problems than in they are carrying a little excess weight.

My Coco gets impactions and i clean his "bits" gently with cotton buds and olive oil. You have to really gently open the anus and you will probably find a mass of pellets all clumped together, gently remove the mass and clean off any stickyness with olive oil, there will also probably be a load of sticky white stuff which you can also clean off with the oil. Next i clean his penis with the oil. It really is truly vile but he looks so much more comfortable after. Impactions are more common in older pigs as the muscles weaken as they age. Hope this helps you and sorry its not a bit more pleasant :lol::lol:

My Coco gets impactions and i clean his "bits" gently with cotton buds and olive oil. You have to really gently open the anus and you will probably find a mass of pellets all clumped together, gently remove the mass and clean off any stickyness with olive oil, there will also probably be a load of sticky white stuff which you can also clean off with the oil. Next i clean his penis with the oil. It really is truly vile but he looks so much more comfortable after. Impactions are more common in older pigs as the muscles weaken as they age. Hope this helps you and sorry its not a bit more pleasant :lol::lol:

Thanks for all your advice lol yeah it is gross but hey maybe I could get a face mask for I wont have to smell it lol

I have had a similiar problem with the website.

When I get piggies in who have impaction problems I slowly reduce their pellets so that they are getting a tiny, tiny amount only, I encourage hay or grass eating and give them fresh veg which are high in vitamin C. Sometimes adding a sprinkling of bran does reduce this problem so that they do not need clearing out so reguarly. I have had the odd piggie who has not required any assistance once getting on to a good high fibre intake.

Often a pig which has slimmed down has less problems than in they are carrying a little excess weight.

Thank you I will try those :)

My male guinea has this occassionally. It often happens with older boys (mine is 6 1/2. Lots of fibre helps - so make sure he has loads of hay!

My male guinea has this occassionally. It often happens with older boys (mine is 6 1/2. Lots of fibre helps - so make sure he has loads of hay!

Yep I've even gave him some fancier hay along with his nomal one :) I was just wondering can you feed them things like bran flakes?

Yep I've even gave him some fancier hay along with his nomal one :) I was just wondering can you feed them things like bran flakes?

I use the bran which you get from either health food shops, which I sprinkle on their food. Bran flakes and all bran is too processed and has additives which is not suitable

Back