• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Castrate & Spey 2 rabbits - at same time??

maggyottermad

Warren Scout
Hi

Im new and havent even got my little 'uns yet, but i think these forums are great and im just using all the info as im a worrier!

End of the week I am getting a doe and buck black otter rex, 9wks. Im no breeder and so will be getting both neutered.

I have been told that sexual maturity is 16-24wks for rexs, so roughly 3-4months for the boy and 5-6months for the girly to be neutered, but apparently the sooner the better incase negative behaviour occurs, would like to avoid that ofcourse.

Does that sound good for ages?

Also, if i get the boy done earlier and girl later then that avoids having 2 rabbits recovering at same time.

OR should I get them done at the same time. I do have a dog crate to put one in whilst in recovery, so they can be alone.

LAST question - how long do you think I should wait before re-uniting the rabbits after either op?

Thank you my new rabbit buddies x

Sounds about right: You should check the boy bun daily and book him in as soon as his `plums' appear, otherwise your girl could get pregnant. Most vets like to wait until the females are 5 or 6 months old. As for when to put them back together, it depends on the buns. I must admit I couldn't bear to seperate mine at all and put them back together after all of their ops and there were no problems but most vets will advise you seperate them but keep them within sight and smell of each other, for a couple of days so the dog crate is a good idea: they can still groom and comfort each other through the wire. You need to make sure there is no humping or chasing for at least 5days after the op :)

Mine were kept together, though I did end up seperating when Bubbles got humpy... they were kept were they could see and sit next to each other, and when we went back to the vets for a check after 7 days they all went in the carrier together, and came back to their playhouse together no probs.

Think its good to keep a relatively open mind... :)

Back