• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spinal injury - any advice?

lily22

New Kit
My rabbit caught her leg in some thread from the sofa and sustained a spinal twist last night. She has since not been able to use her back legs. I took her to the emergency vet who gave her some anti inflammatory and pain killing injection and returned to the vet this morning to be given some further pain killers and antibiotics. She has deep pain feeling in her back legs and feet so she isn't paralysed but she cannot weight bear. Her reflexes are diminished. Does anyone have any experience of this and if so knows how soon I might see some improvement if any is to be expected? Poor thing is having to wee and poo where she lays which is undignified for a clean litter trained rabbit. I am having to keep her fur very clean. She has had some diarrhoea but I am guessing this is the antibiotics - it only lasted for about half an hour and now she is back to producing pellets - I am worried though that she will cause herself to obstruct if I don't keep on top of this.

Any advice would be appreciated - and some hope would be welcomed. She is only nine months old, is a rescued rabbit and much loved by my two daughters.

Last edited:
Thank you for your message - it is all very stressful at the moment as we are not sure which way things will turn out. She has a male companion who is lost without her to play with but we need to keep her quiet and in confined quarters. We are giving her lots of attention and allow her companion in occasionally for a little grooming but he doesn't stop long unfortunately even though I was hoping he might cuddle up to her for some therapy. Typical man! Ha! Ha! - sorry, trying to keep our spirits up.

I'm sorry to hear this but there is a lot of hope for her :)

As she has feeling of pain that is good :) The reflexes may come back in time but could still be a little diminished.

She does need to rest and she needs the anti-inflammatories until she is able to weight bear again. Keep her on vetbed and change it daily :) We found with some of ours that they started to get the feeling back into their limbs and we slowly reduced the anti-imflammatories as they became more mobile :)

Try to gently move her from one place to another so that she does not get urine scald and keeping her clean all the time :) I know it's hard and it is undignified for her but she will thank you for it :)

When the vet says it is alright you can try very gentle massage of the limbs as this helps to keep the blood circulating :) then in time you can do physio with her :)

It's fine to let her partner with her as long as he's not too rough for her - he will help her keep calm and will eventually snuggle up with her which will make her feel lots better. She doesn't know what is going on with this so her partner being by her will help :)

Please let us know how she gets on :)

Back