• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sore hocks again!/ u/d 8th Nasty sore on leg, Pictures added

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Moses has very inflammed hocks due to his disabilities. He has been prescribed Flamazine which I have been using for around 10 days.

How long before I should see improvement? and can it work without pressure bandages?

Last edited:
Moses has very inflammed hocks due to his disabilities. He has been prescribed Flamazine which I have been using for around 10 days.

How long before I should see improvement? and can it work without pressure bandages?

If the sore hocks are a direct result of his disabilities then without anti-pressure bandages they are unlikely to improve with just flamazine.

There is an example of bandaging here
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sorehocks.html

:)

Thats what i was worried about. Poor boy, he gets pulled about enough already.

I'm now printing off the dana krempels info on bandaging. It's going to be hard as the sores run right along the edge of his foot

ETA just seen your link is the same thing :)

Just read all the bandaging info and it has raised more questions than it has answered :?

Firstly it states to put rabbit fur directly on the sore area for protection and not to use cotton wool. But I am assuming a corn type plaster of cotton wool is the more commonly used method.

This will be difficult as the pressure sore is a long area on the side of his foot as well as the normal place due to the way he walks.

It states to only change the dressing weekly but how do you put the cream on inbetween. They would have to be changed twice daily. Something he would find extremely painful and stressful.

Also the bandage comes up the leg. Moses has scar tissue that gets very sore going right down his leg from a horrific injury so the bandage will rub on this. It also needs to have different cream applied twice daily :?

He also has a deformed penis and incontinence issues so keeping the bandages dry is also going to be impossible.

Sorry if this sounds like I am being awkward, but poor Moses has had such a dreadful time of it, treating one problem without it affecting another is really difficult :(

Could you tape a pressure relieveing bandage to the base of his foot with surgical tape and then improvise some kind of waterproof dressing to go over the top. I'm not sure what though yet....I'll have a ponder. :?

I appreciate pics would be helpful and will see what I can do in the morning. Need Steve to support him so he can be turned over.

the pressure sores are on his hocks spreading along the edge of them. But a seperate problem is the scar tissue on his stomach and on the insides of his legs and which caused a deformity of his genitals (what he has left of them) He has bepanthen cream applied to this area daily.

He is brain damaged which I suspect is the cause of incontinence and has a badly deformed front leg which makes movement very awkward.

Last edited:
I've tried to take a few pics myself this evening, sorry they are not very focused and the flash has made things look a lot whiter than they are.

I know the hocks aren't really bad but I know if I don't sort it now things will get a lot worse for him

right hock

HPIM1611.jpg

HPIM1612.jpg

left hock

HPIM1613.jpg

HPIM1615.jpg

His abdomen, which has come out a lot whiter than it is. His inside legs are quite good at the moment but if I miss the cream for a day they are really sore. The tiny dot you can see in the approprite place is all he has as a penis. I have to pulll it back every day to stop it healing over but am lucky if I get 1mm to come out :(
They are taken before I have cleaned him and creamed him this evening. He was also a lot wetter than usual this evening :?

HPIM1608.jpg

HPIM1609.jpg

HPIM1610.jpg

I have had some really good advice from Jay and Janice so hopefully we can get something sorted for him :)

Poor lad :cry:

I hope the suggestions you have been given by Janice and Jay help.
It is going to be hard to apply any dressing without causing problems elsewhere :?

It is going to be hard to apply any dressing without causing problems elsewhere :?

This is the problem I have, which is the reason for the original post. I was really hoping that the flamazine alone would work. I put loads on and stick the rest of his hock fur over the sore bit in the vague hopes it will help :?

He rarely moves off his vetbed, but can go a good speed when he wants to ie meds time :lol:

This is the front leg that I assume is causing all the problems to his back legs. He can only use it like a turtle flipper. I hate to think how bad the break was that caused this, and the pain he must of suffered not having it treated :(
HPIM1543.jpg

After seeing the pics of him I can say that is how Tansy was and the bandages worked really well for her :)

He's gorgeous - wanna keep him :love::love:;)

This is the problem I have, which is the reason for the original post. I was really hoping that the flamazine alone would work. I put loads on and stick the rest of his hock fur over the sore bit in the vague hopes it will help :?

He rarely moves off his vetbed, but can go a good speed when he wants to ie meds time :lol:

This is the front leg that I assume is causing all the problems to his back legs. He can only use it like a turtle flipper. I hate to think how bad the break was that caused this, and the pain he must of suffered not having it treated :(
HPIM1543.jpg

This idea came to me in the middle of the night.......What about using an airbed for his main bedding area :? You can get those inflatable camping mattresses. Personally I find vetbed too abrassive for very sore hocks. So maybe you could cover the airbed thingie with a cotton sheet :?

Has he had his front leg Xrayed to confirm it was actually an untreated fracture?
Its just that I had a Bun who had the exact same problem with his front leg and it was due neurological damage caused by EC.
I am just thinking if your Bun is also incontinent could it all be related to EC damage :?

Sorry for this 'thinking out loud' post :oops:

ETA This was Billy Bunny :love:

rabbits341-1.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately Summer his partner would bite through an airbed in a second.

It is definately a break that has caused the problem, under all that fur you can feel the ends of the bones going in 2 different directions, it is horrible. But yes he also has EC :(

One of my buns has sore hocks at the mo (since last Wednesday), and the vet she said as long as they are kept clean - covering them could do more harm than good (trapping bacteria? I think) Although I thought it best to take the pressure off them too?!?!

My bun has clear-tinted brown liquid coming out with cecal poops - and although the vet doesn't know why, I have ransacked this forum for info and ideas... he is on various treatments for it (no antibiotics tho as this will probably make his tum worse) and I have started gradually changing his diet. But his hocks have become sore from being damp! (and his bum/fur is soiled, I related to your pic straightaway) He has had butt-baths, and dog bathing wipes used to try keep his rear end clean!

I have been sterilising the hocks with a human cleansing wipe found in first aid packs. Then applying Johnsons Tea Tree Skin Healing Cream and then topping it with loads of dry wound powder. The powder stops the cream coming straight off so it gets chance to soak in.

I give him soft fleece blankets to stand/sit on and vetbed with puppy pads underneath to soak any liquid.

His hocks seem to be healing up - be it slowly - so I think this combination is working :?

Hopefully this info maybe helpful?

Just a quick update :)

I have eventually got the things I need together to bandage Moses' feet, thanks to info from Jay :) Hopefully it is the right stuff. I have done it for the first time tonight and he was extremely tolerant of it all. Whether he will be that good every night remains to be seen ;) Its been a bit trial and error so we shall see if they still remain on in the morning. Since I put them on he has actually been running round at quite high speed so they are obviously not causing him any discomfort at the moment :)

Thank you to everyone who had ideas to help this special boy, we really appreciate it :) Will keep you updated on any improvement

Well the bandages have stayed on for the past 2 days ( obviously changed inbetween) and he has been more active than I have even seen him :D

Can anyone give me an indication of how long I may need to bandage his feet for?

This may be for life Liz, but you never know, the summer time could help him as well :) I'm glad it's giving him a new lease of life, it certainly has with any of our buns that have had it done this way:D

This may be for life Liz, but you never know, the summer time could help him as well :) I'm glad it's giving him a new lease of life, it certainly has with any of our buns that have had it done this way:D

Thank you, if he keeps being as cooperative as he is being at the moment it shouldn't be a problem. :D

Thanks for all your help Jay :wave:

We are SO disappointed this evening. We have had to stop using the bandages tonight :( When we took the old ones off they were soaking inside with urine. We could have rung them out :cry: His fur is dripping and plastered to his legs and his skin is really sore.

I don't know what to do next, his incontinence and deformed penis obviously means urine is constantly dripping down his legs. There is no way we can put anything tight enough around the top of his legs to stop this happeneing.

He was so active with the bandages but we can't leave him like this. Even if we changed them 2 or 3 times a day he wouldn't stay dry. We are back to square one now.

We are so disheartened as we really felt we were doing something good to help him. :cry::cry:

I don't have any advice HT, but I just want to say that you are an amazing person. What lucky buns they are to have you.

I hope you think of something else to try to help Moses. :)

Back