• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

non injury related corneal abrasion in my frenchie

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
mm i did read the dwarf loppy thread first but my prob is a little diff..and id love if anyone could go check their frances harcourt brown etc book for me as ive read all i have and got no joy on the net last night......

bertie had a scratch on his right eye diagnosed wednesday evening..he went for his check up yesterday morning and it was discovered that the abrasions actually healing albeit a bit slowly. BUT theres a large ulcer/abrasion thats appeared on the centre of his cornea with no sign of injury..its apeared spontaneously:shock: its larger than the other one but at least has some blood vessels going to it which is indictaive of healing ..but its weird how its appeared just like that.

our vet said hes to stay on the eye ointment..fucithalmic one for now and he has to be reseen next monday morning. hopefully by then it will be healed..if not then it will be a case of debridement of the dead cells to help to encourage the immune system to help heal it.

my vet was a little stumped at how this happended..but im wondering....bif when bandit and her were spending time with bertie kept washing his eyes like she always used to..and bandit was washing his ears...if bif has probs with soft cecals from her dental probs combined with stress as ever then would there be enough bacteria to cause an infection to lead to spontaneous ulcer formation..if so then how do other buns avoid getting this problem?

i dont see my vet till wed afternoon but was curious in the meantime in case anyone has had the same occurrrence or can find any references to it so i can ask her then...

thank you:wave:

Last edited:
How is Bertie's eye now? Has it healed ok. My Bun has developed an ulcer today and is on fucithalmic as well :(

Back