• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kitchen advice please

Fluffie

Alpha Buck
Im moving this week or next week and the place where we were guna put the bunnys has been turnd into a storage space for all the old stuff that used to be in the room and will be blocked of.
So im thinking about making the kitchen into the bunnys room does any one else use there kitchen for there bunny rooms.
Every thing will be in high cupboards so they wont be able to get any thing out and we cud probly make a closed of area for night time.
Or do u thionk i shud keep them outside in there hutch and bring them in during the day?

I might put there bed in my room does any one keep there bunnys in there room and do they rip up ur blankets?

I have never kept rabbits in the kitchen, so I am not sure if it is safe. As far as keeping them in the bedroom is concerned, you have to make sure that you rabbit-proof (hide wires etc) before you move them in. You will also have to move a litter tray in your room and food/hay/water. I have to warn you though that the bunnies don't really stay quiet through the night :lol::lol:

Haha i was worrid that they wont be quiet :lol: My bf wants then free ranging in the house at night is that a bad idea even if it was bunny proofed?
Maybe they will go in the lounge lol thats all the rooms it has that theyv been moved to and put them in thebedroom if the door is open.or put some wire over the door.

My bf wants then free ranging in the house at night is that a bad idea even if it was bunny proofed?

It is not a bad idea if you make sure that you bunny proof EVERYTHING. Bunnies chew wires, curtains, carpets, skirting boards, wall-paper, books . . . the list is endless. :lol::lol::lol: I keep my bunnies in their own room, which they have trushed (but I don't care any more). I let them free range in the rest of the house under supervision. Perhaps, you can search this site for people's set up with NIC cubes. Good luck with your houserabbits. I totally agree with keeping them indoors. They are a delight to watch.

Last edited:
Iv been looking for these cubes but i just cant find them in any shops.I live in newzealand and have looked on a newzealand forum they say u can get them but there hard to find and when u ask the shop assistants they have no idea what ur talking about thanks for the advice and the link.Lol bunnys bunnys sure are destructive there lucky there so cute and when they no theyv done something bad they look at u with those cute little faces as if there saying what are you looking at:love:It s impossible to be mad at them.

Lol bunnys bunnys sure are destructive there lucky there so cute and when they no theyv done something bad they look at u with those cute little faces as if there saying what are you looking at:love:It s impossible to be mad at them.

I know!:) I found this website where you can get the NIC cubes from: http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...refview=search&ts=1211525090741&isSearch=true The problem is that I don't know if you can get them in New Zealand. Alternatively, some people confine their indoor bunnies in dog crates, when they are not supervised. However, I am not sure if dog crates are spacious enough for two bunnies. I really hope you will find some way to accommodate them.

Hi

i keep my buns peppa and george in the kitchen. When peppa was on her own she had a dog crate which was open all the time but at the weekend we put both rabbits together and they now just have a dog bed (we put the crate away, wasn't big enough for both). Our kitchen was the most bunny friendly place as all the sockets are at counter height so no wires to chew. We have a stairgate across the door, is for the kids really but stops buns getting out too. Peppa is a chewer and has chewed all the skirting board, and our wooden trolley that holds the pots n pans, but thats not to bad.

My Julie free ranges in the kitchen as it is the easiest room to bunny proof. I swifter dust the floors everyday to pick up any bunny hair. We took a large plastic tote and cut two bunny size cave openings then placed her litter box in there. It has a cover so we don't have to look at or smell her litter box and it is big enough for her to lay down next to her litter. She loves it in there. Good thing about the kitchen is I spend the most time in there and she can come into the rest of the house when I am watching her. I have a baby gate in the doorway and she bangs and scratches it when she wants into the rest of the house. Works great for us.

I kept my pair of bunnies in the bedroom for the first few months, first in 2 large cages while we bonded them, then in c and c cage. We have since moved them to a shed out the back, which gives them more space, as they have their shed and the run of the (very secure!) back garden every day.

But i miss them in the bedroom - got to see so much more of them. Had some memorable escapes in the early hours of the morning - with bunnies leaping onto the bed and scaring me awake.

Back