• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best Advice for Looking After Kits?

samo.chan

Young Bun
Hi all,

First of all, apologies if this isn't the correct place to post this, but there doesn't seem to be a breeding or "look after kits" section.

After reading a couple of rabbit books, and reading a few websites, I've finally become bedazzled by the sheer conflicts of do's and dont's between sources, and thus I turn to you!

My doe has finally given birth, and looks to have a healthy litter. I've seperated the buck from her a while ago, so he's not in the same cage as they are.

What actions I should take now are up for suggestion, as I honestly don't know which advice to best follow; some say take away the deformed ones (and dead ones), some say leave them be for a while, none speak about how to continue to continue feeding my doe.

Simply put, what advice would you give?

Many many thanks, and hopefully all of the little cuties will survive :)

I have always heard its best to take away any dead babies from the nest. Otherwise as they will be cold they could chill the live babies. Its best to divert the mums attention with some food and rub your hand in the litter tray to mask your own smell before putting your hand in the nest. If the live babies tums are nice and round then leave her to it as they would appear to be getting her milk.If you find any babies out of the nest, pop them back in or they will get cold and die. Good luck with your babies.Pam

Was the buck in the cage when she gave birth?
May i ask why you are breeding when you don't know the basics?
Remove all dead kits as they will make the littermates cold. Make sure all are in the nest to prevent freezing/getting lost.

Thanks Pam,

I've yet had the heart to actually have a good look for dead kits, although I have to move to babies initially as they were born outside the nest.

Will pluck up the courage a bit later, I think.

Thanks Pam,

I've yet had the heart to actually have a good look for dead kits, although I have to move to babies initially as they were born outside the nest.

Will pluck up the courage a bit later, I think.

Its essential you check now as if they are, it could jeopardise the temperature of the live kits.

SRR: No, the buck wasn't, as I wrote in the original post. In regards as to not knowing the basics, I have only literature to learn from, and the Internet. Not everyone can learn first hand. I am not arrogant as to say I know enough, however, hence the post.

Edit: OK, phew, checked just now. Litter size is 6, and all are alive and kicking, although some are more active than others, but all of them moved. Glad that's over!

I'm guessing I should check again after work tomorrow?

Last edited:
SRR: No, the buck wasn't, as I wrote in the original post. In regards as to not knowing the basics, I have only literature to learn from, and the Internet. Not everyone can learn first hand. I am not arrogant as to say I know enough, however, hence the post.

Edit: OK, phew, checked just now. Litter size is 6, and all are alive and kicking, although some are more active than others, but all of them moved. Glad that's over!

I'm guessing I should check again after work tomorrow?

I'd say yes, but apart from that, do not disturb them.
Are you going to keep all the babies?
Out of curiosity, what made you want to breed?
Have you pictures of the parents :love:

I was lucky with Angel she let us check her litter everyday as it was cold i had to do it. When you checked them last did they have round bellies.

SRR: I originally planned to keep one, and the rest were to be given to those around, who i kept catching trying to nick my current wabbits! Cheeky lot!

I wanted to breed them so it's more of a family for them; in all honesty, I ove my [now original] two, but i couldn't find as much time as I wanted to to be with them, which is why i got a pair in the first place.

I uploaded a pick of the mum before, when she was a lil' un, but I will post some newer ones tomorrow.

I was lucky with Angel she let us check her litter everyday as it was cold i had to do it. When you checked them last did they have round bellies.

of the ones lying on their sides, I didn't see any non-round bellies, but some were belly-down, and I am hesitant to disturb them too much, given the temperature, Mony's temperament (the doe / mum), and my overall yellow-bellyness.

Edit: Oh, is it normal that she's got them "buried" under hay? Also, she hasn't seemed to interact with them yet.

SRR: I originally planned to keep one, and the rest were to be given to those around, who i kept catching trying to nick my current wabbits! Cheeky lot!

I wanted to breed them so it's more of a family for them; in all honesty, I ove my [now original] two, but i couldn't find as much time as I wanted to to be with them, which is why i got a pair in the first place.

I uploaded a pick of the mum before, when she was a lil' un, but I will post some newer ones tomorrow.

Will you be neutering and vaccinating all buns before they go to new homes?
Will you be breeding them again?
Have they got big swollen round full bellies (babies)?

ETA: Just seen your other post about baby bellies.

Last edited:
of the ones lying on their sides, I didn't see any non-round bellies, but some were belly-down, and I am hesitant to disturb them too much, given the temperature, Mony's temperament (the doe / mum), and my overall yellow-bellyness.

Edit: Oh, is it normal that she's got them "buried" under hay? Also, she hasn't seemed to interact with them yet.

Yes
That is her nest she has made for them.
She will only visit them 2 times a day maximum, for 5 minutes at a time, to nurse them. In the wild they would not forever interact with them as it would attract predators to their nest

Will you be neutering and vaccinating all buns before they go to new homes?
Will you be breeding them again?
Have they got big swollen round full bellies (babies)?

For 1), re: neutering I will reccommend it to the owners, but I don't see why I should force it upon them. I myself know that it's good to do so, and will do mine now (the buck hopefully this week, the doe when it's more suitable).

For 2), no, hence the neutering

3) now that you mention it, it seemed big, yes. Again, I can only vouch for the ones on the side, not the ones tummy-down.

I said I'll post a piccie tomorrow, but what the hey, I'm a few mins early. This piccie was taken in Oct, so they're bigger now, with more kits :p

P1000796.jpg

SRR:, no, I'm afraid I don't. heck, trying to find the breed was hard enough. Neither came with a pedigree, unlike my first ever bun, but even that only had up to G-parents on one side.

Why do you ask, if I may enquire?

SRR:, no, I'm afraid I don't. heck, trying to find the breed was hard enough. Neither came with a pedigree, unlike my first ever bun, but even that only had up to G-parents on one side.

Why do you ask, if I may enquire?

Not knowing the histories can often result in badly bred buns
Eg dental diseases (molar spurs, malocclusion sp?)

Not knowing the histories can often result in badly bred buns
Eg dental diseases (molar spurs, malocclusion sp?)

I have read up on that, something called "wolf teeth"? As long as they're healthy, happy, and safe I don't mind, and will obviously do everything to help them through their lives, but I'm not going to put them in shows, etc, so minor genetic defects don't dissuade me.

Regardless, I'll take them to the vet at the earliest safe opportunity. Speaking, of, when is it best to have the mum snip'd?

I have read up on that, something called "wolf teeth"? As long as they're healthy, happy, and safe I don't mind, and will obviously do everything to help them through their lives, but I'm not going to put them in shows, etc, so minor genetic defects don't dissuade me.Regardless, I'll take them to the vet at the earliest safe opportunity. Speaking, of, when is it best to have the mum snip'd?

She can be speyed when the kits are weaned at 8 weeks of age.

Can you afford for all of them to have dentals?
Molar spurs have to be burred down under a general anaesthetic, dependant on how severe, every few months.
This can cost £50-£70 a time. Can you afford this if all 6 have this?
Would your friends willingly pay this every few months for the rest of their lives?

Back