• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nodular Myxi

kayj

Wise Old Thumper
Can anyone shed any light on it please as in what it looks like:?

One of the babies that was found (from the rescue I'm doing) by one of the residents had a crusty lump on its head anyway when I went up yesterday I decided to pull the scabof to see what was underneath. No puss came out at that time but it has left a hole (if you know what I mean), also one of his eyes wasn't open properly not swollen just a little crusty so I bathed that and put fucithalmic in it and it stayed open. I have left the baby with the residents for obvious reasons:roll: and have given them baytril to give the baby until I see whether anymore lumps appear.

this is some of chelseas lumps and her eye when she had nodular myxi....

Chelsea-1.jpg

Picture_0174.jpg

her paw
Chelspaw2.jpg

Chelspaw.jpg

her inflamed mouth
CHELSMOUTH06NOV07-1.jpg

her lumps were all similar to this ranging from pimple size to 50p and she started with a weepy eye and one lump on her nose...
BUMLMPSCAB25NOV07.jpg

think I better take a trip to the vets to make sure.
Thank you for the pics it has helped alot:D

presumably if he was very young he wouldn't have been vaccinated therefore unlikely to get nodular mixi, more likely to get the full blown version...?????

perhaps syphalis?

well he is doing really well, very lively. he hasn't developed any more lumps with scabs on. One of the adult females I have picked up had similar sores and I haven taken her to the vets and it looks like syphillis, which wouldn't surprise me in the least with all the scooby doing they will have all been doing for the last 3months. We have put her on penicillin and will see how it goes, I forgot to ask my vet about giving the baby penicillin but I am a bit nervous of the risk with the baby and penicillin:?

JacksJane if you are reading this you will probably be able to tell me the risk (pleeeeeeeeease).

well he is doing really well, very lively. he hasn't developed any more lumps with scabs on. One of the adult females I have picked up had similar sores and I haven taken her to the vets and it looks like syphillis, which wouldn't surprise me in the least with all the scooby doing they will have all been doing for the last 3months. We have put her on penicillin and will see how it goes, I forgot to ask my vet about giving the baby penicillin but I am a bit nervous of the risk with the baby and penicillin:?

JacksJane if you are reading this you will probably be able to tell me the risk (pleeeeeeeeease).

How old is the Baby ?
Personally I'd not want to risk Penicillin on a Baby under about 6 months unless my Vet insisted it was essential :? Not only because of the risks of gut dysbiosis but also because of the detrimental effect on bone developement :?

Last edited:
Unless the baby buns symptoms become more severe then we will not be giving it penicillin.

Back