• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Slime from the bottom *WARNING Graphic Poo Pics* U/D On the mend

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Hi all

Urgh my luck with rabbits is at an all time low at the minute :(

Zion has been bonded with Tess for a week now. He has taken quite a shine to her bless him. She is a rather old bunny, very doddery and cannot clean herself properly and I have struggled to keep her bottom clean this past week.

I also took her to the vet this week as she has a rather large protruding lump on her right hand side which apparently turns out to be her colon sticking out due to her having a malformed rib cage - poor girl.

Anyway I put them outside in the newly vinegar'd playhouse and run and all was well. Went out tonight and she didn't seem interested in me, pellets or spring greens. Brought her into the kitchen and she started eating and pooing again which is great. In that time I have cleaned her bottom and she has got the most enormous amount of clear stringy slime coming from her bum.

Her poos have been rather large and slimy since she has been here but I thought that was just her. I never realised there was excess slime and I don't know what it is.

Here are some pics:
CIMG1684.jpg

CIMG1687.jpg

Any idea what this is a symptom of? I think she needs to go back to the vet but it's hard as my rabbit savvy vet only works when I am at work and altho I trust other vets I really want her to see her.

Anyhoo any thoughts?

Last edited:
When Fudge was 3 weeks old she had the same slimy gunge coming from her bottom and turned out to be diarrhea which she was given an injection and she pooed green poo!!!
She was fine after that but was told it must be because she was starting to eat solid foods and maybe got a hold of mums veg :roll:

Take her to the vet and they will say what it is!

Hope she is going to be ok got and feels better soon :D:D:D

She needs to go to the vet. Could be the start of mucoid entiritis which can be deadly & may be infectious. It can be brought on by stress (and if she's been bonded for only a week that's possible) or by coccidiosis. I would consider getting her to the vet as soon as possible & might be tempted to book an emergency appointment.

Last edited:
april's poo was like that the day before she went over the bridge, the vet said it was better to pts as she was old and they thought she had cancer and she was shuuting down

sorry i cant be much help, hope bunny gets better

The mucus is indicative of inflammation in the gastro-intestinal tract. It can be brought on by a number of things but always warrants a vets visit.

Probiotics (especially Fiberplex) & something like Zantac or Tagamet can be helpful but she may also need antibiotics and painrelief, dependant on the cause. My Fiver gets it when his teeth are causing him grief and his food intake decreases.

Thank you Skye and Fudge.

Well her diet is pretty good and I haven't changed it since she has been here apart from her possibly getting some more greens and less pellets than she is used to. Now she is with Zion he has greens every day and only a handful of pellets, whereas she had a lot of pellets and greens/veg very rarely. I have given more pellets but obviously she is in competition for them now. She eats hay all the time.

I fear she may have megacolon which is what Fia had and eventually contributed to her death.

I'm not sure what else I can do diet wise. I have Fibreplex so I will pop a couple of those in with her normal pellet feed. I will put some Avipro in her water too, basically everything I did with Fia.

They have mountains of hay to eat and she does eat it. The vet said her teeth were good when he saw her last week. However, he wasn't my rabbit savvy vet. The only other thing is she drinks LOADS of water but when I said that to the vet he didn't seem too concerned. She is also passing cecals. Not sure how she is eating all of them but I did catch her yesterday pass some and them turn around and eat them, obviusly because she can't eat them straight from her bottom.

I have had Zion and Tess on a course of panacur this past week which is almost complete.

Hmmmm its odd and annoying. I hope it will sort out but I am not sure if her age is on her side.

Thanks

Last edited:
Oh gawd. I will give Nicola3 call in a bit. She isn't my rabbit as yet (I haven't adopted her) and so is still her property (sounds horrible saying that but technically it's true). Will see what she wants to do.

What a nightmare :(

yikes have yours had that with Panacur? I've ocassionally had dropped caecotrophs as they don't like the taste much but never mucus.

Panacur also treats intestinal worms and on rare occassions a Bun can have some consequent inflammation in their GI tract during treatment.
I have had it happen to about 2 Buns over the years. Both Buns were elderly and I dont know if that makes a difference :?

Panacur also treats intestinal worms and on rare occassions a Bun can have some consequent inflammation in their GI tract during treatment.
I have had it happen to about 2 Buns over the years. Both Buns were elderly and I dont know if that makes a difference :?

That's a gem of knowledge to store away Jane, thanks for that. (I know it wasn't aimed for me but it is very useful).

Hmmm ok. Thank you for that Jane. Well they have both had 7 days worth of panacur so I think I will stop it there.

She is eating and pooing which I am happy with. I will keep an eye on her. She has a snuggle safe and lots of hay tonight. I will give Nic a ring and ask what she wants me to do.

Thanks again and will keep you posted.

good to know Jane thanks.

Going to try and get Tess to the vet this morning. She seems well in herself. Lots of poos altho they're all slimey and a coulple of cecals. She has just tucked into a bowl of pellets though which I am happy about.

Any idea what kind of treatment the vet is likely to give her? I have stopped the panacur and she is having Avipro in her water. Is it a case of needing to dry up or will she have a medicine to aid that.

Thanks all

Going to try and get Tess to the vet this morning. She seems well in herself. Lots of poos altho they're all slimey and a coulple of cecals. She has just tucked into a bowl of pellets though which I am happy about.

Any idea what kind of treatment the vet is likely to give her? I have stopped the panacur and she is having Avipro in her water. Is it a case of needing to dry up or will she have a medicine to aid that.

Thanks all

I'd guess that she may be prescribed Fibreplex, a pre/probiotic paste with added fibre. I'd be quite surprised if abx were given at this stage :?
You could take a poo sample in to the Vet as Vet may want to send it off for MC+S testing :?

Good luck :)

I'd guess that she may be prescribed Fibreplex, a pre/probiotic paste with added fibre. I'd be quite surprised if abx were given at this stage :?
You could take a poo sample in to the Vet as Vet may want to send it off for MC+S testing :?

Good luck :)

Ok thanks Jane. I said before I had Fibreplex but I got that wrong. I have Pro-fibre pellets which I had for Fia but that does say it has pro-fibre in it. I'll take my camera with me too to show her the mucas.

Thanks very much

Well took Tess to my 2nd preferred rabbit savvy vet. She checked her all over and listened to her gut which she said was making all the right sounds. I took my camera and a sample of the poos and showed her. Whilst Tess was there she did a few normalish poos so it looks like she is back on the mend. We think her stealing antics of Zion's greens are what has caused the problem.

I need to keep an eye on here and stop all veggies for the time being.

Once everything has settled and as she is rather old we are going to trial her on a small dose of metacam to see if it makes a difference to her ability to walk and clean herself better. She has suggested 2-3drops a day for the moment. Since then I have spoken to Nic and read posts on here and it looks like I need to get some Zantac too to avoid GI ulceration. I don't think my vet will have any problem with this and I will have to ring up nearer the time when I plan to start it.

As I say it's only a trial to see if it makes a difference.

Anyway thought I would update.

Back