• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Know anything yummy to hide panacur in?

Sam_Spice

Mama Doe
Been worming the duo for 6 days now and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to what food i can hide panacur in, preferable one that hides the smell of the paste :D

Spice eats is no problems off a pellet or two, wolfs it down no problems but Ozzy smells it and runs a mile now. The first day he took it off a pellet, now he refuses. I have tried with pellets, cabbage, apple, brocolli and banana, all of which he loves and eats instantly with no panacur on :p But even if he cannot see it he always knows which bit has it on (as i might feed him several pieces in a row so he doesn't know which bit has it on).

I don't mind syringing him, he puts up a good fight, although is getting better daily. I actually really like syringing him coz i know its definatly gone in but its so stressful for him as it requires alot of holding him down.

Any suggestions definatly appreciated :D

I had some fab suggestions - Lola is such a pig a piece of banana works a treat!

Many people were going with parsley or a green leaf wrapped around the Panacur.

Good Luck - 7 more days for me!

I put it inside a basil leaf and fold it up really small so the bunnies stuff the whole thing in their mouths in one go. ;)

I've tried wrapping kale around it but still failed, so will try a herb :D :D (good excuse to go shopping for some) :)

Thanks guys :)

Ive always managed on a piece of apple,but some people try hiding it in fruity baby foods:) eg the pure apple one from Heinz

Day 7: Spice - no problem... paste on pellet munch munch munch :D

Ozzy - Tried with some apple again, no luck, just syringed in the end.

Naughty me went to tesco (two of them!) to look for the tunnel (not found :() and forgot to get any herbs to try with him tut tut. Hopefully my home grown herbs will be ready soon ;)

i've been having the same issues with panacur and baytril wiht my 2 - recently discovered they will take it when mixed with pellets and warm water and the cooled, kinda pellet porridge. as long as its not too smooshy but well mixed they dont seem to notice! worth a try...

I tend to make it into a sandwich with things like basil leaves on either side (So like basil leaf, panacur, basil leaf), or banana slices, dandelion leaves, whatever the bun lieks really.

Ohh mixed with warm water sounds interesting, will try that one too. So shopping list is basil and some nice strong smelly herbs hehe :D Definatly get some tonight when im at work (at george in asda haha)

I used to slice into a piece of broccoli and inject it in there. I'd also give Middy less pellets so she'd definitely eat it. Then, I'd reward her.

Mines never been wormed previous vet thought not nessary but my rabbit vet said yeah do it so well be starting in fortnight terrified Angel had to be injected med by us when she needs it so not sure if im going to manage with tis. But would I be able to mix with jammy toast? She loves jammy toast only small bit obv

I put it in the middle of a brocoli floret as they love it or mixed with a bit of bananna on a spring green leaf. Honey is the only fuss pot really but usually if I separate her out she'll eat it in the end. Something like basil would be good as it would disguise the smell.

Im currently in the process of panacuring 3 of mine :? George eats it on a small piece of spring greens, Lottie is so soft, she lets us turn her over and i can syrine it alone :) Ronnie on the other hand... ive tried everything :? And as he has to have 3 graduations its even worse :lol:

Im only on day 4 :roll: xXx

Day 7: I tried the pellet mixed with water, then mixed with the panacur dosage. Did spice's first, which Ozzy ate :D :D So then he needed another half a measure so i remixed it but wouldn't eat this half.... silly bunny! So Spice ate this no problem and i syringed Ozzy the other half. He is getting alot better though, sits still and is over in like a second now :D good boy!!

When i panacured Gho when i first got her Siona told me to put it on a piece of bread and that worked a treat :)

The bread is another fab idea, will try this tomorrow! I have already tried brocoli but naughty bun always knows the piece with it on hehe. Still havn't got to a shop yet to buy basil *slaps hand* will also do that tomorrow! Today i just syringed Oz and fed Spice with a pellet as normal. The great thing is he just sits there and lets me put it straight in his mouth now so something goods come about it :lol:

Haha, well at least by the time you've finished the course, you'll know what works and what doesn't. :lol::lol:

I had some further sucess, even with fussy pants honey......CRISPBREADS. You know those rivita like things that are yellow and taste nicer than rivita. They each got about a sixth of one and it was woofed down.

On day 4 and Basil is working a treat! Banana made her popps a bit sticky!!! But the Basil goes down a treat!

Back