• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.......buns doing my head in!!!!

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Millie and Thumper REFUSE to use the litter tray! They are almost 2 years old and have never been litter trained!

I want to litter train as it will be less waste as they can have a towel or vet bedding in their cage instead of straw and hay! obviously they get loads of hay to eat but its a waste when they pee on the good stuff and i have to remove it as they try to eat it :evil:

How do i get them to use the litter tray?
No matter where i move it they just pee at the opposite side of the cage and sleep in the litter tray.......its driving me insaine cleaning their WHOLE cage everyday!

do you have room for 2 litter trays and then when they decide which one they are using remove the other one. I did this with Ty when he was being difficult and it worked. Nearly all his hutch (he's in a shed now and perfectly litter trained) was covered with litter trays but we got there in the end.

Mine was using it perfect at the very start, no he clears it out as soon as i fill it and keeps digging it all. I dont get it. I am now cleaning it out everyday too (the whole cage i mean) He kept lifting it away, but he sits in it all the time. I tied it to the spot today and he is still trying to move it. That is odd. But he hasnt been neutered yet. next week!

Last edited:
Ha ha re all the litter trays :lol: I'm going to get another one too cos Joe finally started using his then all of a sudden for no apparent reason started going all over the place but mainly in the corners.

I use the pets at home wooden cat litter pellets in the private end of his hutch as he'd had an allergy to the wood shavings they use in there and so they said he'd have to be on the pellets. I put straw in the main bit and he's fine with it but it's much easier to clean the pellets up. I've got a dustpan and brush and sort of sweep the pellets into it so you don't have to throw it all out like straw.

I only put 5 or 6 handfuls in the litter tray and while he was using it, that was great. Although when i empty it he has a strange habit of licking it out :shock:

well i gave it another go at litter training and i am going to get another 2 litter trays for them!

They did wee in the tray but Miss Millie thought it would be funny to dig all the wee, hay and straw out and throw the litter tray out of the cage and get the floor messy :?:?:evil:

The little devil she is, Thumper doesnt bother bout the litter tray he uses it and digs else where and i think he gets fed up of millie! I would too if i were him :lol:

My two girlies are 18 months old, and they are only partly litter trained. They mostly go in their litter tray, but they'll also go wherever they please too. :lol: I clean out their bedroom part of their hutch, their litter tray and hand-pick poos out of the run daily. :roll:

Back