• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

8 1/2 week old with EC symptoms, Baytil?

spider

Warren Scout
I've taken in an 8 1/2 week old brother and sister pair today. I was transporting them from one rescue to another for rehoming but one of the pair is showing worrying symptoms so they have come here to be quarantined. One has discharge around the nose, a dirty bum, slightly splayed and uncoordinated legs and a slight heat tilt. My first thoughts are EC so we're off to the vets for some Panacur tomorrow and probably Baytril. I was just wondering if Baytril is ok for such young buns?

Oh poor baby, hope s/he is ok
I dont know about the baytril, but just wanted to give my best wishes for all to be ok

Obviously its not ideaal to have such a youngster on abx but sometimes there is no other option.

Good luck at the Vets. Poor baby :cry:

Right, lil one seemed so much better this morning. No discharge, head lilt or splayed legs, just a dirty bum. She had probiotics last night and again this morning. I didn't want to take any chances so she was off to the vets this morning anyway. Vets seemed to think it was stress but possibly pastuerella so she had an anti-biotic. I'm too keep a close eye on them, keep them quarentined and keep up the probiotic and see how we go over the next few days. I'm off work for the next few days so I can keep a really close eye which is good.

I'm still tempted to treat with Panacur anyway, just not so sure about them being so young. Any thoughts greatly appreciated :)

Right, lil one seemed so much better this morning. No discharge, head lilt or splayed legs, just a dirty bum. She had probiotics last night and again this morning. I didn't want to take any chances so she was off to the vets this morning anyway. Vets seemed to think it was stress but possibly pastuerella so she had an anti-biotic. I'm too keep a close eye on them, keep them quarentined and keep up the probiotic and see how we go over the next few days. I'm off work for the next few days so I can keep a really close eye which is good.

I'm still tempted to treat with Panacur anyway, just not so sure about them being so young. Any thoughts greatly appreciated :)

I am so pleased Baby seems better :)
I have never had a problem with anyBun given Panacur at 8 weeks. But as this little one has a mucky bum and has just had an abx I think I'd probably hold off the Panacur til his/her poo is normal.
Just a unqualified opinion though !!

xx

Hi,

Thank you for you reply. I really appreciate your thoughts and agree with what your saying. I don't want to overload her little system at the moment.

Thank you

Back