• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excessive drinking?

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Over the last few days Eclipse has been drinking more than normal, he used to only drink 1/4 of a bottle max but now hes drinking over half which is more than he was drinking in the summer...He seems fine in himself Would you class this as excessive drinking?

I think a 2kg bunny should be drinking around 50-100mls a day. Jack's-Jane knows the amount per kg I'm sure. Do a search for excessive drinking and you might find it!

Is Eclipse weeing more than normal as well? Does he have any problems with his teeth? Keep an eye on it for a few days - if it continues to be a problem I would recommend seeing a vet to rule out any problems. Hope all is ok!

He is weeing more yes, its an orangey colour. He is drinking around 160ml -250ml a day he has a normal size water bottle.. hes ok in himself.. not selectivly eating or anything.. do you think he needs the vets? No teeth probs that I know of.. was given a 100% at the vets last time.

Average water consumption is 50-100ml/kg/24 hours.
Buns who have a high intake of fresh Veg in their diet will drink less as they get some water from the Veg.

If Eclipse weighs about 2.5kg then drinking 250mls in 24 hours is not excessive.
Just keep a check on him and make sure he maintains his weight and does not increase his water intake too much more.

Increased water intake can occur in buns with a sore mouth (Dental probs) so this is something to bare in mind.
If his wee is very smelly then the increased water intake could be due to a low grade UTI.

A leaking water bottle can also be misleading !!

xx

Woke up this morning to find he had drank 450ml in 24 hours his urine has also become rather smelly and he dribbled a bit when I put him in his carrier to transfer him to his run. he does not have a wet bum but his feet were coverd in urine and his fur smelled of it :( If there is no improvement I will be taking him to the vets on monday. apart from this he appears fine in himself, no loss of apetite. Is there anything I should ask the vets to do when I take him? x

Woke up this morning to find he had drank 450ml in 24 hours his urine has also become rather smelly and he dribbled a bit when I put him in his carrier to transfer him to his run. he does not have a wet bum but his feet were coverd in urine and his fur smelled of it :( If there is no improvement I will be taking him to the vets on monday. apart from this yhe appears fine in himself, no loss of apetite. Is there anything I should ask the vets to do when I take him? x

If you can get him to a Vet today it would be beneficial. It sounds as though he has a UTI and if so he will need abx ASAP
The Vet may be able to get a wee sample from him to test. He may also need some anti-inflammatories as UTIs can cause inflammation and consequent pain.

Good luck

I'm taking him to the vets later.. I phoned the vets I normally go to but they are just closing for the weekend, so I have to take him to the 'out of hours' vet I'd rather be safe than sorry though.

Yes, much better to find out that it's nothing than to find out too late that it's something serious.

When Gregory showed similar symptoms he was absolutely fine in himself but had some serious dental problems going on.

Keep us posted!

I think excessive drinking can be a sign of problems caused by EC - but try not to worry about that too much. If your vet doesn;t mention it, perhaps you could ask - they will prob do a blood test to check for this and suggest a course of panacur just to be on the safe side while you wait for the results.

My vet did this with Gregory and fortunately it turned out he was clear of EC.

Back from vet, couldn't find any phsical signs of illness by feeling him. Vet said it might be EC so have given me a 9 day course of panacur for all 3 buns. If no improvement in a few days they want to do blood tests. Gave him his first shot of panacur but too much came out the tube. What should I do?

Back