• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just been to the vets

klmirt

Young Bun
Hi All,

I've just had to take my Netherland Dwarf, Alice, to the vets. She didn't seem herself last night and when I woke up this morning she was really poorly. She's hardly touched her food or water and she seemed really lethargic. Normally she is up at the front of her cage when she hears me get up and she doesn't stop running round. This morning though she quite literally had to drag herself to me.

The vet says she has a tummy bug (I was concernced it could be GI Stasis) and has given me some antibiotics for her which she needs to have for 5 days. The vet also said that Alice is the 4th rabbit this week she's seen with this sort of bug so I thought it may be best to let you all know.

She's also given Alice some Batyril which she needs to have twice a day. The vet did explain to me what this was but I'd got myself so worked up over her being ill I didn't really take it in what she said. Does anybody know what this is for? I can ask the vet again as she has asked that I take Alice back tomorrow but I'd like to know properly what it is if anyone knows?

tummy bug? im not sure there are tummy bugs as such? cocodis(cant spell?) or possibly gut issues such as stassi or infections not sure iv heard of anything like a tummy bug fior rabbits ? any chance you could ring up and find out teh name for it? so rest of us can be prepared.. hope your bun is gok does she have a gut stimulant too and pain relief? x

edit: baytril is an antibiotic used in rabbits.

Baytril is an antibiotic.
Did the Vet listen for any gut sounds? Was Alice's temperature taken ? What made the Vet say it is a 'tummy bug' ?
Did Vet administer any pain relief?
What about advice re administering fluids/syringe feeds?

Sorry for all the questions, its just that a 'tummy bug' is a rather strange diagnosis :?

I hope Alice perks up soon.

I'm all worried again now. Yes the vet gave her an injection which she said would help her if she was in any pain. She was making a kind of grunting noise before which she stopped doing around 15 mins after the injection.

The vet weighed her, checked her teeth, her temperature, her bum and listened to her gut. She said she thinks it is a tummy bug as she had quite a messy bum but the vet did say she could feel hard pellets in her gut already. As well as the Baytril (she has to have 2 x 0.5ml doses today) the vet also gave me Protexin Bio Lapis which is a powder I have to mix with 50ml of water. She has to have one sachet a day for 5 days.

She's just had a quick nibble at her food followed by a couple of mls of water which I'm hoping is a good sign. She seems to have a bit more energy now too.

This sounds like my Foster bun Monty was a few weeks back. We didn't have an official diagnosis on him but he obviously had a GI disturbance....I put it down to something he had eaten.

He also had Metacam, probiotic & water syringe feeds to replace the fluid he lost through his runny stools and also a little Infacol for gas. I kept him inside to keep him warm and he started to eat after a few hours and was back to normal within a few days.

As Jane said, rabbit's dont get what we would term 'tummy bugs'....I do wonder if your vet thought it may have been Coccidia or Enteritis. :?

Thanks everyone. I've just left her be this afternoon except to check on her. She's still not herself but she's eaten some food and drank some water. She's up and moving about a lot more though and she's currently sat in her litter tray so I'm hoping we're over the worst and she's on her way to getting better. :D

Back