• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not sleeping in there hutch

Fluffie

Alpha Buck
hello i just adopted 2 bunnys last week and have noticed that they dont go in the hutch very often they stay in the run part all day and whenever i look at them at night they are still in the run they only go in the hucth to go toilet .Is this a problem its been raining today and there still in the run sitting in the rain.Im worried they might get cold all night in the run and in the rain.
The only time ive seen them go in ther is when one chased the other out or when i take the hucth lid off theyl come see whats going on.In the hutch part they have have and there litter box.and in the run is there water and food and some toys a few balls with bells in them and a baby rattle.

sometimes pants will be in the hutch and tink will go in but it looks like pants chases tink out and tink will run in circles.
Any ideas?

Hi

Great names btw - very funny! :lol: Pants and Tank are able to go in if they want, but they might just prefer to stay outside. Some buns do prefer the wide open air! My Hunny loves the rain, she parks her bum in the most exposed spot in the run and sits looking sorry for herself. I've tried to provide her with extra shelter, but then she goes and finds somewhere else to get wet (including climbing right up on the roof of the hutch) ! :roll: But her husbun prefers the dry so he goes and sits in the hutch and sulks cos his wifeybun has abandoned him! :lol:

yeah i thought they might just like the outside its spring here and it does get quite hot but it also rains so they might be cooling down they looked so cute soaking wet and there hair was all frizzy.there old hutch they were in before they came to me was quite small and above the ground. they like to dig eat the grass i was just a bit worried that maybe they dont like there hutch or maybe they are just silly.
Me and my bf chose the names i chose tinkerbell and he chose pants cus he was a bit of a scaredy pants.

Mine have 24/7 access to both their sheds and their run and I can guarantee that 90% of the time, they'll be in the run, whatever the weather. Even if it's minus 10 degress! They have somewhere warm and dry to go if they want to so I leave the decision to them - they know where they're happiest.

I find this interesting, esp when lots of people worry so much over keeping buns warm in the cold weather (including myself so i keep mine indoors) I suppose we worry so much because of how we as humans feel in those conditions. If its cold we want to be warm and snuggly, if its raining and wet we want to be dry and toasty, so we assume the rabbits would want to be the same.

Strange little fuzzies really, that nice warm dry bedding area and they want to be out in the cold and wet :lol::love:

Is it ok to let them have access to their run at night? I was planning to lock mine in the shed at night but then again the run has fox proof wire on it. what do other people do?

I agree about rabbits liking the rain. Hazel loves sitting in the rain looking sorry for herself too when there is a lovlely dry hutch available!

Is it ok to let them have access to their run at night? I was planning to lock mine in the shed at night but then again the run has fox proof wire on it. what do other people do?

I agree about rabbits liking the rain. Hazel loves sitting in the rain looking sorry for herself too when there is a lovlely dry hutch available!

I usually hutch them in the winter, to protect them from the cold wind with a cover over the front of the hutch and a snugglesafe heatpad inside. But last summer I left them with access to the run. Mine is all fox-proof (aviary set on concrete) so I left the decision with them. :)

thanks i think i will just let them decide what they want to do at the moment since its spring but when its winter i will probly hutch them up.
I was thinking that they are like little children who want to go out in the rain but then complain when they catch a cold :lol:

As long as they have the option of shelter (and don't have special coats eg angora) then leave them too it. Their top coat will get soggy but stick your fingers right into their fur and their undercoat/skin is warm and dry.

You can create more shelter by putting plastic over the lid (clear if you want it on all day) but take it off in summer. Its handy if you have older buns or they are on grass that gets wet if too boggy.

Tam

tinkerbell has started pulling out her fur and it looks likes shes building a nest and shes been in there nearly all day.
maybe i shudnt have complained about them being out all day and been happy they wernet building nests :(

Back