• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fat or thin?

George&dillon

Mama Doe
Hope i've posted in the right section, how can you tell if a rabbit is too fat or too thin? i just see in some posts how they've been told there too fat or thin :shock: i no with dogs its all about ribs is there a way to tell with a rabbit or is it weighing and breed?

if on a very warm day you put him in warm water and soak him u should b able to c how much is rabit and how much is fur umm his ribs shuldnt stick owt he shuld b lyk streamlined not round

if on a very warm day you put him in warm water and soak him u should b able to c how much is rabit and how much is fur umm his ribs shuldnt stick owt he shuld b lyk streamlined not round

What a very very bad idea:shock::roll:

Do NOT do this:roll:

You should be able to feel a rabbits hips and ribs and shoulders. They should not have padding except for fur. Of all species they need to stay fit as they are at high risk of fly strike if they can not reach their bottoms to eat their caecotrophs (sticky poo). They lack the enzyme that other species use to protect them from maggots and will go into shock if it happens to them.

Does will get enormous dewlaps often even when not otherwise overweight, especially lops. This alone is a good reason for spaying. Bucks tend to put weight on their shoulders. Rabbits can have round bellys even when thin on top particularly when older, so the most important indicator is the hips and ribs. Remember no padding! And never ever put rabbits on a crash diet as fat rabbits are at high risk of liver damage if they do not eat. Careful observation is needed when reducing or changing doet to make sure that the rabbit is eating something. Hay is the best thing. Carrots are fattening, not diet food where rabbits are concerned.

Last edited:
Your vet should always weigh your rabbit when they have an appointment and will be able to tell you if they are the correct weight for their breed/size.

As Louise said DO NOT soak them in water, it's a very silly idea. :shock:

Your vet should always weigh your rabbit when they have an appointment and will be able to tell you if they are the correct weight for their breed/size.

As Louise said DO NOT soak them in water, it's a very silly idea. :shock:

I agree:D

Definately no to soaking them in water

Another no to water soaking from me - apart from the fact that it's not necessary, it will be extremely stressful for your bun and stress can make them ill...plus of course bunnies aren't designed to get wet so that in itself could make them unwell or even kill them if it makes them cold after their dip!

For too thin - I would say don't be fooled by the belly, you can have an extremely underweight bunny that 'feels' ok under his or her belly. If you run your hand along the bunny's spine, you should be able to feel the spine in much the same way as you can feel your own - but if you can easily feel the bone along the sides of the spine as well (i.e. the spine is forming a bit of a ridge over the top of the muscles) then that bunny is too thin.

Best way really as Sooz says is (assuming you have a good bunny vet) to get your vet to weigh your bun and say whether they are about right. Once you know what is 'about right' for your bun, you can weigh them at home on kitchen or bathroom scales to check whether there are any changes.

1.agree do not soak a rabbit in water this is a very bad idea!!!!
2. feel along buns spine for the spine should be not jutting out but abkle to be felt. or ask your vet for guidance dependant on breed. x

Back