• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ANy risks to getting neutered?

William

Wise Old Thumper
I'm going to have my 3 males neutered hopefully soon. I was wondering whether there's any risks to it? And what age is the best time to have a rabbit neutered?

i think theres always a risk from the stuff that makes them sleep (i cant spell it so didnt try lol)... its never risk free but a health check before the op to rule out heart problems makes sure they are in perfect health before they go under.

my vet also told me its the stitches that generally cause the most problems, he said rabbits just love chewing thier stitches out :shock:

risk of infection is there too, but if we check daily it can be sorted with no porbs

ive only had alvin done so im not speaking from a huge experiance range, there were no problems at all... went under and woke fine and left his wounds well alone and healed up lovely :D:D:D

Snowy, who was neutered last Tuesday, has just chewed some of his stitches out so is off back to the vets this morning. He had his post-op check on Sunday and the vet was really pleased with how he was healing up! Now he's gone and ruined it all! Naughty bunster!

there is alwasy some risk due to anestetic, loss of temperature, infection. these three can be minimised by keeping bunny indoors after op and monitoring their temperature for first 24-48 hours yup even over night, keep the enviroment and cage rest clean andplace no hay straw or woodchips as bedding the paper shredded bedding is ok as is blankets and soft towels. a pre op health check is a must and a rabbit savvy vet will ensure minimalised risks. some rabbtis will pull at stitches some due to non adequet pain relief others just because they can.... give pain relief after the op and if nessacvery more later dependant on bun they should also get a gut stimulant and probiotic ideally as will need to get them eating and pooping as quickly as possible. have astock of treats such as corriander parsley(fresh) dandilions apple adn critical care just in case and give bun a water bowl too.
regarding the best age its usually less risk if they are younger but my vet in gloucester has competantly speyed a 9year old bun for me and has several elderly bunny dental pateints who have anestetics when nessacery. i myself have had buns speyed/neutered at age 2,3,5 and soon to be age 6 bun will be being neutered. :)

:( I hope the chances of that are low..

I have a young male rabbit (dunno how old exactly but maybe 2 months old) when will I be able to neuter him?

I think the vet we have is rabbit savvy, but how can I be sure? I'm in America btw, not UK.

I just had my bunny gizmo neutered on monday and he didnt get stitches!! neither did my other 3 males! It was left as an open wound and they were completely fine, i havent heard of any vet in Dunfermline that give male rabbits stitches.

My female didnt get stitches but she got a glue like substance so she didnt hav to get stitches removed and stress her out!

Every vet must be different

I checked on my bunnies every hour (even through the night) for the first 24 hours and gave them a soft towel on the bottom of their cage and put shredded paper in their litter tray to make it extra comfey :D

:( I hope the chances of that are low..

I have a young male rabbit (dunno how old exactly but maybe 2 months old) when will I be able to neuter him?

I think the vet we have is rabbit savvy, but how can I be sure? I'm in America btw, not UK.

well ask a few questions.. oh yes risks are low i was just pointing out a few that can occour its like human surgery risks are often low but tehre are minimal worrys with anything.
few questiosn to ask... will my bunny be able to eat up until the operation..if they say no and say to starve bun do not and find a better vet(nb ask the vet this q as the receptionists dont always have the right answer) ensure they do a pre op check and that pain relif will be given post op. find out how many bunnnys they see at the practise, ask if they have any of their own....
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=149297&highlight=savvy+vets this thread should help too and i naswer as to when once his ball s have dropped they can do the op :)x

I just had my bunny gizmo neutered on monday and he didnt get stitches!! neither did my other 3 males! It was left as an open wound and they were completely fine, i havent heard of any vet in Dunfermline that give male rabbits stitches.

My female didnt get stitches but she got a glue like substance so she didnt hav to get stitches removed and stress her out!

Every vet must be different

I checked on my bunnies every hour (even through the night) for the first 24 hours and gave them a soft towel on the bottom of their cage and put shredded paper in their litter tray to make it extra comfey :D

an open wound? not even glued up?or internal stitching? thats unusual, i woudlnt be happy if my vet did that due to the risk of infection how long did it take to heal did they have antibiotics and pain relief? not critiscising jsut didnt realise it could be done liek that?

an open wound? not even glued up?or internal stitching? thats unusual, i woudlnt be happy if my vet did that due to the risk of infection how long did it take to heal did they have antibiotics and pain relief? not critiscising jsut didnt realise it could be done liek that?

no glue, or any kind of stitches! ive seen one of my males getting done as i done work experiece with them, and the wound is tiny, not big enough for stitches (enough for maybe 1). I did get antibiotics and pain relief and my bunnies always were themselfs that night.

Especially gizmo monday night a few hours after his op he was humping my hand every time i went in his cage :lol:

The wound doesnt bleed and i was told to keep the cage clean! have had no problems!!

Watching my bunnies op i was amazed it took him all of 4 mins to get it done, was amazing!!
:D:wave:

Back