• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my bunny died today

benetar

New Kit
hi everyone, i'm new to this forum, i'm from trinidad in the caribbean.My 8 month old grey bunny died today and i'm completely heartbroken, i took her in as a baby, she came to me 80% blind and i loved her, she brought so much joy into my life, its just really hard to get over her.She stopped eating about 2 weeks ago and drastically lost weight. i took her to the vet on thursday and i was relieved that thursay nite she was back to "normal", but by saturday her condition worsened to a point that she could not walk.it hurts just talkin about it .....What can i do now, should i get another to replace her or just forget about her......any advice is greatly welcomed

Im sorry to hear about the death of your bunny.
Personally, its personal prefrence as to when you get another animal. Some people find it helps with the grieving process. My rabbit Piper give birth to 8 gorgeous baby kits not long after my dog of 15 years died, it really took my mind off things.
Some people find its like "replacing"the animal too soon. We waited 5 year after our cat Simber died, till we plucked up the courage to get another kitty!
follow your heart :)
Vikkie x

Sorry to hear about your loss :(

Do you have any rescues near you?

If you manage to rescue one that will make you feel doubly good :)

Hi, I am so so sorry to hear about your bunny . There are few things more devastating than losing a little rabbit. :(

I lost two within one weekend, earlier this year, it was devastating.

I suggest getting another one but wait a few weeks to give yourself a chance to recover from losing your little one first ~ if you get one straight away you might feel a bit resentful towards it because its never going to be your original beloved bunny.

However I now have 3 new adorable bunnies and its helped ease the pain a lot. :love:

thanks for your response guys, i guess she's in a better place now, strange enough, i think she knew she was going to die because in her last few weeks alive she distanced herself from me, never wanted me to pick her up. i know this sounds strange but she was more than a pet to me , more like a member of my family, she ate from my plate, slept by my daughter...gosh, it still hurts, i'm sure many might think im over reacting but i miss my benny (that was her name)like crazy.....

So sorry to hear of your loss :( you'll never forget her or replace her even if you get another ;) personal choice really if you feel ready go for it, but if not which i think your not bcoz your asking the question wait a while until you are ;) thoughts are with you ;)

I'm sorry to hear of your loss my friend.
I too lost a bunny a few weeks back and had just bonded him with my other bunny. I was worried my other bunny would be upset and got another one the next day.
Get another bunny if you want one, the new one will never replace benny in your heart, and getting to know him will be a wonderful distraction from your pain and let you enjoy your memories of Benny much sooner.

I always the think the best memorial you can give to a lost pet is get another and give them the love you did you to your previous one. You'll know when the time is right and the right bunny comes along. Some people need time to grieve and others like to get a new friend immediately - there's no right or wrong.

Aw, she was beautiful. I am so sorry for your loss.

You are certainly not over reacting, you have found the right place to come if you want to share your feelings with other people who will understand what you are going through. You may want to put something about Benny on Rainbow Bridge, it might help you.

As others have said, there is no right or wrong in wanting/getting another rabbit, you will know when the time is right.

four days have passed, i just feel that there is this big void in my life....today is exactly one week since i took her to the vet, every morning and evening i would go to where i buried her and ask her how's she doing or if ask her if she's hungry, I think i'm losing it......

I'm so sorry to hear you've lost your little bun.

Do you have any rescues near by? Perhaps a visit would help you decide if your ready for a new bunny.:)

For those of us who truly love animals, when they go they leave a huge hole in our hearts and we grieve for them....it's a cliche but time is a great healer, however, there is nothing to be ashamed of in feeling heartbroken at your loss, it does hurt :cry: She looks so beautiful in that picture :love:

As others have said, it is entirely your choice whether you take on another bunny and give him/her a wonderful loving home. ;) Whatever you feel is right for you IS the right thing to do. :D

I read many posts a day, but this on has had me choked,:cry:
Dont ever feel you are silly for missing a loved one. Benny was beautiful,

Binky free Benny, xx

t i know this sounds strange but she was more than a pet to me , more like a member of my family, she ate from my plate, slept by my daughter...gosh, it still hurts, i'm sure many might think im over reacting but i miss my benny (that was her name)like crazy.....

Not strange at all. You'll find a lot of people on here who understnad completely how you feel.
We lost Bobby two weeks ago, and miss him like mad. He was bonded to Ruby though, who is not happy on her own, so we are picking up another bunny tomorrow.He's completely different to Bobby though, so we know he's not replacing Bobby, but a member of our family in his own right

thanks for your response guys, i guess she's in a better place now, strange enough, i think she knew she was going to die because in her last few weeks alive she distanced herself from me, never wanted me to pick her up. i know this sounds strange but she was more than a pet to me , more like a member of my family, she ate from my plate, slept by my daughter...gosh, it still hurts, i'm sure many might think im over reacting but i miss my benny (that was her name)like crazy.....

losing our beautiful pets is so hard and none of us on here will ever think your grief is an overeaction,i lost two of my boy bunnies within 3 months last year and it hit me extremely hard.many people just don't get it,when i was treating dudley(one of my boys i lost)it cost me in excess of £1000 and i would spend it over+over,but someone said to me'wouldn't it just be cheaper to get another rabbit?'. people like that obviously don't have the capacity to love an animal like we can.it hurts so much,you never forget them but you do move on.and i can not live without a bunny(or 3!)in my life,but i can never replace the ones i have lost,they are all unique,but my other bunnies are just as special.i hope you start to feel a little better soon,and there is always someone on here to offer support.x

Back