• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

skin issue

lauraocal

Warren Scout
My bunny seems to have quite red skin on the back of its neck and it's fur is patchy and thin there too.
He has got flakey skin too there and it looks a little sore.
I haven't noticed his scratching there at all but wondered if bunnys can suffer from skin complaints like exemea?

No treatments at all and he doesnt have mites as its only on the back of his neck.. how would i add a picture to my post to show you?

here is a pic of the back of his head... its not great but its the best i could do with the technology i have.

bunhead.jpg

is it at the base of the ears it still could be mites they cant be seen with the naked eye,,

if he has had any jabs or spot on treatments i would still think mites,

unless do you groom him does he get the odd knot behind his ears ?

Here's a cheap trick. Assume there is mites, shave that entire region off totally. Wash it w/ warm water. Put "petroleum jelly"on the skin twice a day, and see what happens when the fur grow back

P.S. don't mistaken thin fur vs. skin patch problem. 1 of my bun has small amt. of fur on her ear, but she's perfectly healthy. So w/ her, I can see the root of her ear, i.e., some small part of the skin, but there is nothing wrong w/ her.

Last edited:
Its not just the thin fur his skin there is red and he has flakey skin. I have suffered with dry skin alot and it looks just like that.
Will the shaved head and warm water help if it is mites?
Do i bathe it regular or just once.
I have got vaseline for after.

Flakey skin does usually indicate mites. Mites are easily treated with ivermectin (spot-on or injection), but it's probably best to ask your vet if you're not sure. ivermectin isn't a prescription medicine, so you can buy the spot-on from large pet shops or the internet.

Red flakey skin could also be a fungal or bacterial skin infection...although you wouldn't usually expect to see this on back of the neck...under the chin would be a more common site.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, im going to try the spot on treatment and go to the vet if it doesnt improve.. i'll let you know how i get on

I have been looking around online and am unsure which would be best to use.
I know not to use powders and shampoos and anything by frontline.

there is xeno spot on, and two bob martins products..small animal spot on and my little friend spot on (possibly the same product), Geritrix xenex ultra spot on.

If anyone has used these products I would really appreciate it if you let me know how you got on with them..?

Thats brilliant thanks.
I weighed my buns for the dosage and scamp is 1.2kg and bunny is 2kg.
scamp is a dwarf lop and bunny is a lionhead, how are their weights for their breed? I thought bunny was getting a little bit overweight but from what i can tell she is about right?

Its not just the thin fur his skin there is red and he has flakey skin. I have suffered with dry skin alot and it looks just like that.
Will the shaved head and warm water help if it is mites?
Do i bathe it regular or just once.
I have got vaseline for after.

Sorry for the late reply. Because you have to put those cream on, you have to shave it regardless. Say you use Ivermectin twice a day. At the other times, to make sure he feel comfy w/ that spot, I would still use petroleum jelly on that spot when the effect of the Ivermectin is off.

Say you use Ivermectin at 12 am and 12 pm, then I would put some petroleum jelly on at 6 pm and 6 am.

I would not bother w/ warm water, or bath it unless you see something that's not suppose to be there. If the spot looks dry and nice and clean, no water.

Happily the problem is clearing up now and his skin is a normal shade and the dryness is going.
I tried the petrolium jelly and shaved area to start but this seemed to make it more itchy that before so im not sure if the jelly caused a reaction too.
Besides his funny hair cut he seems fine

I have contacted bob martin about the ingredients in his small friends spot on so i can use that as a preventative after its cleared as its only £2.88.. I am not sure if it's safe for me to use so does anyone know if;

S-METHOPRENE
MERCK IR 3535

is safe?

Back