• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how can i prevent EC?

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
I have been looking at a few threads and EC is mentioned alot, i tend to worry alot and try to prevent anything happening to my bunnies. Does anyone no a way of preventing EC so i can ease my worry!!

Also my bunny fudge who lives indoors loves to sleep on towels so i bought her a bed and a few towels for her cage and although she sleeps on them she tends to enjoy nibbling at the threads on the towels. I stop her when i can and i dont think she swallows the threads but will she be fine if she does?
She doesnt do it alot just occasionally??

To prevent EC you can use a medicine called Panacur. You can buy it from internet shops or from pets at home and you don't need a prescription. The recommended course is 9 days for prevention but is 6 weeks to treat EC if they have it. It can be repeated 2-4 times a year.

I think this is the cheapest place to get it:
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1105

I don't know how you could stop them tearing up towels, rabbits do like to destroy things :?

As above, you need panacur.....9 day course twice a year to help prevent EC.

I wish i knew about it, as my kermit got it before i had even known!!

As far as the towels go, your bun will be fine as long as she doesnt eat loads of towel, nibbles here and there is fine....kermit has eaten cotton buds, plastic shower mat, the plastic from his comb, telephone wiring......the list goes on and on! They just seem to be fine.

Thank you so much for your help! i will get some tommorow. Do you know how much to give and how many tubes to use per rabbit for the 9 days!
My rabbits are mini lops and i can check their weight! I know Fudge is 2.3lb but she is quite small compared to her mum and dad!

Also how is panacur given? is it a paste or liquid?

P.S Kermit is so cute! :love::bunny:

This should help with the weight thing.....
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=152306&highlight=panacur+graduation

You can get liquid or paste, i find the paste best as i can just put it onto a basil leaf and kermit took it no problem.

I didnt see any panacur rabbit when i was in pets at home, i only seen the cat and dog stuff, maybe youll have to get it online.

Thanks, thats his pic before he got his head tilt with EC on the left, then the right one is when i managed to snap him when he eats......he now manages to correct his head tilt ok for food - lol!

Thank you so much for your help! i will get some tommorow. Do you know how much to give and how many tubes to use per rabbit for the 9 days!
My rabbits are mini lops and i can check their weight! I know Fudge is 2.3lb but she is quite small compared to her mum and dad!

Also how is panacur given? is it a paste or liquid?

P.S Kermit is so cute! :love::bunny:

If they are less than 2.5kg then you can do two rabbits with one tube of panacur paste for rabbits. If they are over 2.5kg then you need one tube per rabbit. (each tube contains 18 'graduations' and you need 1 'graduation' per 2.5kg of weight per dose). If they are over 5kg then you need two tubes per rabbit :p

Back