• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Complete After 2 Hrs??

nicky1

Young Bun
I bonded my female netherland and male lionhead (male - rescue bun who i got on saturday) (both neutered and both 10 months old) this morning. Thing is after about half an hour of lunging fur pulling etc they sort of then ignored each other for a bit and then the female when the male came over put her head to the ground in a submissive mode. I left them together for another hour like this in the garage and there wasnt any more fighting or anything. So i decided rightly or wrongly to bring them back into the kitchen both still inside the wire pen, where they stayed without much fuss for about another hour until the female decided to climb out of a 3 foot high pen!! Anyway she decided to go to the spare bedroom where she usually sleeps during the day and he stayed in the pen. This evening she came back into the kitchen and sort of played a bit of chase and just sort of done their own thing - does this still mean they arent bonded?? I thought that when bonded they would want to stay together all the time - can bonded rabbits be independant too??

My two bonded pairs definitely have their 'me' time when they want to be alone and they also have the odd scrap. Most of the time, they'll be together but it's quite normal for them to want a bit of time on their own.

I would definelty not put them together after just 2 hours. They could turn, I would keep up the bonding sessions for a while to check they are defnetley friends. Rabbit fighting can be horrible, it can end in death.

I agree, two hours really isnt enough.
At least they should spend 72hours together constantly, before you can say they are bonded and even then you cant be 100%.

Put them both together and make sure they stay together..:)

Sounds as if it's going well, but really they need to stay together for a good few days yet before they can be 'trusted' to be independent. Are you around this week? Ideally I would keep them in a relatively confined area (e.g. a dog crate) with you keeping an eye on them for the rest of the week before being fairly confident to leave them together permanently. It's very unusual for bonded bunnies to 'unbond' and while yours sound as if they're doing great, it is a risky time so you need them to stay close to each other for a good week or so yet to be certain :) If they wander too far apart for too long at this stage they could start to develop their own territories which could end up with a fight. When I'm bonding I prefer to keep them together all the time and sleep in the same room as them so that they can stay together but I will wake up if there is a fight.

Hope They Are Ok

After reading the replies here i am quite worried now, pened my male (Lance) in the kitchen last night and the female (Rosie) was free to roam in the kitchen. This morning i opened the pen and the male came out and there was no agression and the female and male were both then in his pen and then about half an hour later both were in the females cage in the utility room with her showing no territorialness ( i vinegared her cage before he arrived). When i left for work they were just running about no bother but i am going home at lunch time now just to check - does this still all sound as if they are getting on?? she keeps putting her head down alot as if for him to groom her but he doesnt - well just a couple of times.

Back