• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How big should hutch be?

William

Wise Old Thumper
I'm confused as to what the minium amount of a space a rabbit is supposed to have :?

And how big a hutch/room would need to be for 2, 3, 4, etc rabbits

How many buns do you have or thinking of getting? What breeds are they? Depending on that would depend on how much space they should have as a minimum.

To be honest I think no space / room is too big for buns :D

Right now I have 2. They're small, less than 5 pounds. I think they're mini lops. One has free range of my bedroom so he has plenty of space. The other is in a hutch outdoors (they aren't yet neutered so they fight). My dad is going to build a huge hutch and since one day I plan on getting more rabbits I wanted to know how big the hutch should be and how many an be housed in my bedroom. I like small- medium breeds so my next rabbits will be like 5 pounds and under. I probably want at least 3 more so that would be 5 buns in all.

:shock: Really? I've seen pics here of people's cages that are much smaller than that. That would be the size of a large room...

For indoor rabbits it can be smaller if they are allowed out of their cage most of the day. You can usually get dog cages that would make good indoor homes for rabbits.

:shock: Really? I've seen pics here of people's cages that are much smaller than that. That would be the size of a large room...

I think you're confusing feet with metres. a 6ft hutch will only be slightly bigger than an office desk...definitely not the size of a room

I've found a useful space saver is to build upwards:oops::lol: When I was adding to my bonded group, I started adding levels - you can easily double the size of the area,:lol:

what about one bunny

Most of the threads on here usually go by the 6ftx2FTx2FT rule ,which I am not in anyway debating, but what if you have just the one bunny?

I think you're confusing feet with metres. a 6ft hutch will only be slightly bigger than an office desk...definitely not the size of a room

Hmm must be. I'll have to get a ruler later and see how large 6ftx2FTx2FT hutch is.

^ I currently have 2 rabbits. WHy should I only have one anyways? I have the room for a veerry large hutch. Plus I have my bedroom which could at the very least house 3 rabbits.

Angie, yeah, i plan on having lots of levels in the hutch

Last edited:
Hmm must be. I'll have to get a ruler later and see how large 6ftx2FTx2FT hutch is.

^ I currently have 2 rabbits. WHy should I only have one anyways? I have the room for a veerry large hutch. Plus I have my bedroom which could at the very least house 3 rabbits.

Angie, yeah, i plan on having lots of levels in the hutch

Think you've misunderstood William!
I wasnt suggesting you only have one rabbit, its me thats only got one rabbit and was just wondering if the hutch size guidelines were the same:)

I wasnt suggesting you only have one rabbit, its me thats only got one rabbit and was just wondering if the hutch size guidelines were the same:)

The minimum I would be put any rabbit in is 6ftx2ftx2ft. I don't know what the RSPCA new guidelines are for one rabbit though.

2 medium buns 6x2x2ft min...indoors use a 48inch dog crate and then leave open tofree access to room better stilll bunny proof the house and allow free acess to the house with a large nic home made enclosure.. then 5 buns would be fine!if 24/7 free range in a house and full range of house :)

:oops: lol I completly misread that, sorry.

2 medium buns 6x2x2ft min...indoors use a 48inch dog crate and then leave open tofree access to room better stilll bunny proof the house and allow free acess to the house with a large nic home made enclosure.. then 5 buns would be fine!if 24/7 free range in a house and full range of house

Yay :D

Right now I have 2. They're small, less than 5 pounds. I think they're mini lops. One has free range of my bedroom so he has plenty of space. The other is in a hutch outdoors (they aren't yet neutered so they fight). My dad is going to build a huge hutch and since one day I plan on getting more rabbits I wanted to know how big the hutch should be and how many an be housed in my bedroom. I like small- medium breeds so my next rabbits will be like 5 pounds and under. I probably want at least 3 more so that would be 5 buns in all.

All I can hear are alarm bells I'm affraid.

Please for give me If I have got this wrong but am I correct in thinking that you are young and relatively new to rabbits ?

If the two rabbits you already have fight then the chances are they are the same sex and neutering will quite possibly have no beneficial effect on this situation. If they are not the same sex then you are very lucky you do not have a litter on your hands as it only takes 3 seconds!.

Having more than 2 buns(ideally male +female)togehter is fraught with danger and not something we would recommend unless you have the space(and I mean a lot of it), the experience and also do not mind frequent visits to the vets.The idea that you might put all 5 in a hutch or whatever really scares me.

Sorry to be a downer on this but with group bunnies lots can go wrong and if you are inexperienced it is far better to have a great relationship with the buns you already have. More does not automatically mean better, what it does mean are more bills....neutering, vaccinations, food , bedding and time.

If I have got this awfully wrong please ignore me and accept my appologies.

Alan.

All I can hear are alarm bells I'm affraid.

Please for give me If I have got this wrong but am I correct in thinking that you are young and relatively new to rabbits ?

If the two rabbits you already have fight then the chances are they are the same sex and neutering will quite possibly have no beneficial effect on this situation. If they are not the same sex then you are very lucky you do not have a litter on your hands as it only takes 3 seconds!.

Having more than 2 buns(ideally male +female)togehter is fraught with danger and not something we would recommend unless you have the space(and I mean a lot of it), the experience and also do not mind frequent visits to the vets.The idea that you might put all 5 in a hutch or whatever really scares me.

Sorry to be a downer on this but with group bunnies lots can go wrong and if you are inexperienced it is far better to have a great relationship with the buns you already have. More does not automatically mean better, what it does mean are more bills....neutering, vaccinations, food , bedding and time.

If I have got this awfully wrong please ignore me and accept my appologies.

Alan.

I'm 16 and we've had at least 2 rabbits all my life, so no, I'm not new to them.

I think maybe you misunderstood me. I never would put a male and female together that weren't fixed! I'm going to have my current 2 males neutered and my future buns spayed/neutered as well. Males & males or females & females do get along.. I've had many females who have gotten along very well. I have a really big yard though so there's no issue of space if they do fight. I'm not quite sure what you mean by its dangerous putting 5 rabbits together :? As long as they get along together I don't see whats wrong with that?

Also, I've had 4 rabbits at one time before (12 in all I think) so I know what its like and all.

Last edited:
I'm 16 and we've had at least 2 rabbits all my life, so no, I'm not new to them.

I think maybe you misunderstood me. I never would put a male and female together that weren't fixed! I'm going to have my current 2 males neutered and my future buns spayed/neutered as well. Males & males or females & females do get along.. I've had many females who have gotten along very well. I have a really big yard though so there's no issue of space if they do fight. I'm not quite sure what you mean by its dangerous putting 5 rabbits together :? As long as they get along together I don't see whats wrong with that?

Also, I've had 4 rabbits at one time before (12 in all I think) so I know what its like and all.

ithink what alan means is you must ensure all the group are enutered and are introduced on neutral territory as fights can ensue if not bonded in correctly its not a matter or putting them together there are ractises to follow he was not trying to insult you jsut trying t o understand what your plan was. basically same sex pairs or gruops are harde rt o bond but provided all are neutered and introduced correctly it can work however you do need provisions provided that they do not get along. i would not keep 5 bunnys in 1 bedroom though only 5 with free access to house and yard. i think if in one room only then 2 or 3 is maximum but especially with the amount of animals you already have in one room as it must be very crowded if too many in there at once so i would go slowly and gently into getting more animals provided you have space and can afford neutering and cvacccs and pannacuring and have a neutral territory bonding space available great. x:)

Hope it´s okey if I borrow your thread just for a sec... How big is 6x2x2ft in metres? I´m from Sweden and we always use metres. Here the minimum is 0.5m for bunnies under 3kg. Too small I think, so it would be interesting to hear what recomendations you have.

Back