• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can you get a DIabetic Bun?

Lissa Lou

Alpha Buck
I am really sorry if this is a stupid question, but one of my buns is always drikning and weeing. I know if he was humin I would suspect Diabetes but as I am a new bunny mummy don't know if this is a condition that can be found in buns? :oops:

Yes it is possible but it is extremely rare. More common reasons for this are kidney and liver problems. I had exactly the same problem with Gregory a couple of months ago and he was drinking up to 500ml of water in 24 hrs which is about 5 times the amount he should have had.

You need to take your bunny to teh vets so that if there is a serious underlying cause it can be sorted.

Gregory was Xrayed, had blod samples taken which tested his kidney and liver function and his blood sugar levels. He also gave a couple of urine samples. His blood was tested for teh E.Cuniculi parasite, which is very common in bunnies. He was treated for EC with panacur just in case it was this, but he turned out to be clear.

After a lot of worrying and testing it turns out he was probably drinking do much because of the pain in his mouth from his bad teeth. Since his back teeth have been sorted and he is on daily pain relief, his drinking has gone right back down.

I can tell when he needs his teeth doing again as his water concumption goes back up.

Hopw that helps - there are a few threads with info and links about diabetes in bunnies if you do a search!

Deffo go to teh vet just to be sure!

A lot of bunnies loves to sit at 1 spot for many hr., and they won't go to the bathroom until they really need to. Clearly that's bad for their kidney. The way to deal w/ it is that every 2 hr. take them to their "spot" regardless whether they have something to pee or not. That way, it's good for their kidney in long run

thank you, I will phone at lunchtime ant book bunny in and cat for her jabs too. Looks like I will have to get the credit card out

I have insured bun today, just to be on the safe side, will phone vet tomorrow as they are not answering today

I would say it's much more likely to be a urinary tract infection or a kidney/liver problem than diabetes, but your vet should be able to look in to all of these areas easily. Keep an eye out for any other symptoms to tell your vet though! Hope all goes well! :)

Back