• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet Bum

milly100

Alpha Buck
Just a quick query. My rabbit Flopsey has recently had a wet bum quite a bit. Yesterday i gave her a bum bath and trimmed a lot of the fur away. I know the reason for this is because everytime shes in her cage she sits in her litter tray. She is free range through the day and where she lies on the carpet there is no sign of wee so I def know its from her litter tray. She does have a little sore patch so Ive put cream on that this morning and ive dried her bum. I dont think its as bad since Ive trimmed away the fur a bit. Tonight Im not going to lock her in her dog cage and then see what her bum is like in the morning. As Im hoping she then wont be sitting in her litter tray. Any other suggestions would be great.

If she is sitting in her litter tray then you need to be changing it really regularly, like multiple times a day, to prevent her urine scald getting in worse, however, often a wet bottom can indicate a bigger problem, such as a kidney or bladder issue.

What do you use in your litter tray?

How does she act in herself?

On her urine scald you can put a minimal amount of sudacrem, or you can bathe the area with cooled boiled water (if you use a pint of water and add one tea spoon of salt that will work well too). Urine scalds can easily get infected, so you have to take action really early.

I had a bun that I thought was getting wet from sitting in her urine, and was changing it very frequently, but she died a couple of months later, from what looked like renal failure. Don't make the same mistale I did and assume it is something and miss something else. I would suggest having her checked out, just in case.

Thanks for that info. I use megazorb in her litter tray and i change it twice a day. She is perfectly fine in herself. She is running around as normal and eating and drinking as normal. She hasnt changed at all in herself.

Try changing it more frequently if you can and see if the same thing happens. I would think it shouldn't happen with megazorb, because doesn't that absorb the urine?

Yeah it does absorb it fairly well. She seems to do most of her weeing at night when shes locked up. Also the little monkey was in the habbit of weeing on her fleece that i line her cage with so Ive removed that for the moment and Ive just given her a a little pet bed to lie in which I can remove easily an wash and dry.

when i was using megazorb i found my bunnys back feet were always wet thru and yellow an i changed it frequently, i changed to wood based pellets and no more wet feet :eek:)

I had a foster bun that was incontinent. After treatment for several urine tract infections, it turned out to be EC. I would get to the vet TBH as she may need cream for the urine scald (I used Sudocrem) & tests & treatment if it is EC

pop to the vet to be sure there is nothing else wrong and put a layer of hay ontop of the megazorb which should mean that she gets a dry layer on top?

Im neary 100% certain that her wet bum is just down to the fact that she sits in her litter tray nearly all night when shes locked in her dog cage. This has been happening for about 3 weeks now and she hasnt shown any other signs of illness. I dry her bum every morning and every night. I have spoken to the vet and have been told to keep an eye on her and I told them that I wasnt going to lock her up for a few nights and then see if that makes an improvement. If it doesnt I have then got to take her to the vets. Ive always had ongoing problems with Flopsey and her bum. Firstly she always had poo stuck to her bum and I had to clean it every day and that cleared up after I changed her food. Then her partner died of myxi and she became very stressed and developed wheezy breathing if she gets stressed. So I try and limit the amount of times I get her stressed. She has been checked by a vet and at the time her breathing was fine which is typical. She has hid underneath the table all day since I did her bum this morning.

Hi just over a week ago I lost my beloved bunny Barney and he was only just over 18 months old. He too seemed to have the same symptons as you are describing.

Barney had a wet bum so I cleaned it up a few times and trimmed the fur, he was happy and healthy in himself apart from the odd runny poo but nothing I thought too seriouse. He was eating and drinking as normal and running up to me for bunny cuddles.

I was shocked then to get up and find he had passed away. If I were you I would take him to the vets for a check up.

Sorry for the depressing post but thought best to reply as I would not want you to loose your bunny in similar circumstances. :D

Hi just over a week ago I lost my beloved bunny Barney and he was only just over 18 months old. He too seemed to have the same symptons as you are describing.

Barney had a wet bum so I cleaned it up a few times and trimmed the fur, he was happy and healthy in himself apart from the odd runny poo but nothing I thought too seriouse. He was eating and drinking as normal and running up to me for bunny cuddles.

I was shocked then to get up and find he had passed away. If I were you I would take him to the vets for a check up.

Sorry for the depressing post but thought best to reply as I would not want you to loose your bunny in similar circumstances. :D

My bun was the same as yours. Lively, but with just a wet bun. I (eventually) treated him for EC, but he died just as he finished his 6 weeks of panacur:cry:

Back