• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

please help!!

Deanna

Warren Scout
Ive just adopted (friday) two gorgeous lop brothers who are entire, who are in quarantine in their hutch at the mo, meanwhile I have a bonded pair and everyday after I have fed the dogs the buns come out into the big garden for a run, today for the first time they had a massive fight near the run of the new buns (they were'nt init as they haven't had their jabs yet) this is really out of character as they are normally so close, is this normal when new rabbits are around??? I hope i havent upset their bonding :cry: any advice would be appreciated

New rabbits (or any new animal in the vicinity) can definitely upset the applecart and cause fights, you might want to try putting a dab of vanilla above their nose so that they can only smell that. That should ease the situation and hopefully they will get used to the other bunners.

New rabbits (or any new animal in the vicinity) can definitely upset the applecart and cause fights, you might want to try putting a dab of vanilla above their nose so that they can only smell that. That should ease the situation and hopefully they will get used to the other bunners.

Thanks will definately give it a try, ive had such a trying time recently what with rescuing little teddy then having him put to sleep as he was so ill because of this, my husband brought home Bertie and Ernie as he thought I was losing my faith in looking after rabbits all was going well until the other two starting fighting I panicked again. although as i am typing this they are back in their hutch and Daisy is washing Harry so I think i am panicking over nothing, Rabbits are not the easiest things to grasp are they! Will things calm down when the boys get nuetured?

How old are the two little ones? I would whip them off to be neutered as early as possible otherwise there is a risk of lots of fighting - both between the other pair, and these two could kick off as well, and once a pair of boys has started fighting, they're unlikely to get on again.

Until you can get the new ones neutered I would keep them well away from each other - you may also need to block off part of the garden so that the existing two can't get near them.

Sometimes pairs will kick off if they smell other buns in the vicinity, it's called 'referred aggression' and basically if they smell/see another bun around what they consider to be their territory, they will attack their mate because they can't get to the 'intruder'. I think you'll just have to play it by ear for a while but definitely keep them well apart until the boys have been 'done' - for the sake of both pairs!

How old are the two little ones? I would whip them off to be neutered as early as possible otherwise there is a risk of lots of fighting - both between the other pair, and these two could kick off as well, and once a pair of boys has started fighting, they're unlikely to get on again.

Until you can get the new ones neutered I would keep them well away from each other - you may also need to block off part of the garden so that the existing two can't get near them.

Sometimes pairs will kick off if they smell other buns in the vicinity, it's called 'referred aggression' and basically if they smell/see another bun around what they consider to be their territory, they will attack their mate because they can't get to the 'intruder'. I think you'll just have to play it by ear for a while but definitely keep them well apart until the boys have been 'done' - for the sake of both pairs!

im hoping to get both boys done asap im just waiting for my delivery of a crate so I can put them both indoors while they recover and they are having their myxie jabs tomorrow they are about 5 months old.

Back