• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help, Meg's not right! UD She is starting to eat a little

bunbuns

Warren Veteran
Hi. Just been out to feed the buns and Meg is definately not herself :(

She normally dives in the food bowl but she is sitting hunched up in the corner. She moved into her litter tray and did a few squidgy poos.

Could it have anything to do with her VHD jab on Monday?

Last edited:
Hi. Just been out to feed the buns and Meg is definately not herself :(

She normally dives in the food bowl but she is sitting hunched up in the corner. She moved into her litter tray and did a few squidgy poos.

Could it have anything to do with her VHD jab on Monday?

Awwwww poor girly :cry:

Any reaction to the VHD Vac tends to occur within 24-48 hours. But I guess it might still be possible that the Immune response to the Vac has effected her guts now.

I would make sure she is warm. If she has tummy pain she will quickly become hypothermic.So get her indoors and onto a heat pad ASAP. She could probably do with some pain relief so I'd call your Vet about this.
Try to encourage Meg to have a drink even if she wont eat. Cooled boiled water with an added probiotic would be good but dont stress her out too much at this stage by trying syringe feeds/hydration.

Hopefully warmth, water, pain relief and some probiotics will settle her tummy down. But I would advise you to speak with your Vet as it is possible to tell so much more about what may be wrong if you can actually examine the Buns abdomen and your Vet will be able to do this.

Sending get well vibes to Meg

I had buns who had a VHD reaction two weeks after (a different type of reaction though, some localised at the injection site, and one with an all over problem), but it is possible for it to affect them a while after.

I agree about keeping her warm and with everything Jacks' Jane said, so I won't repeat it, just send her and you lots of vibes :)

Thanks everyone.

She is indoors in the warm. I couldn't get an appt at the vets until 6:10pm.

Keep the vibes coming, she still isn't a happy girl :cry:

Can you give her a rice sock or something to add some additional heat that she can snuggle with if necessary?

Can she be tempted with any food?

She is snuggled up with Ben at the moment.

I've tried tempting her with all her fav foods but she's not interested :(

I wish i could have got an earlier appt at the vets.

Just got back from the vets. He said her stomach feels completely empty and she had lost weight since her VHD jab on Monday.

She has had fluids and gut stimulant and another jab but i'm not sure what that was. I've also got some recovery mix to give her which should be interesting. He also look in her mouth and said he could just see some sharp edges on her molars which could be the reason she stopped eating. So she is booked in for a dental Monday

Poor Meg Can we have lots of vibes please guys.

Just got back from the vets. He said her stomach feels completely empty and she had lost weight since her VHD jab on Monday.

She has had fluids and gut stimulant and another jab but i'm not sure what that was. I've also got some recovery mix to give her which should be interesting. He also look in her mouth and said he could just see some sharp edges on her molars which could be the reason she stopped eating. So she is booked in for a dental Monday

Poor Meg Can we have lots of vibes please guys.

Hopefully the 'other jab' was a painkiller. If you have an itemised receipt look for Metacam AKA Meloxicam -or Vetergesic or Torbugesic.
I'd keep her indoors tonight so as you can insure she is warm and you can also monitor her eating and pooing.
Sending get well vibes

I didn't get an itemised bill so i'm not sure :?

She is indoors with Ben so i can keep an eye on her.

Any tips for syringe feeding???

Its really hard to get out and she just chewed the end off of the syringe :?

Just picked up Meg to TRY and syringe more food into her and she had a few small poos stuck to her. Is that a good sign?

Also my parents dog is on Metcam at the mo. Is that the same one that rabbits have? Don't worry i'm not going to give her any, i'm just curious.

And why am i having such trouble getting the recovery mix out of the syringe?
What am i doing wrong????

Maybe water it down more? Is it critical care?

I believe that it is the same metacam that dogs have. Mine has dog stuff all over the instruction leaflet.

Mine is 1.5mg/ml oral suspension for dogs. That's what it says on the label.

Maybe water it down more? Is it critical care?

I believe that it is the same metacam that dogs have. Mine has dog stuff all over the instruction leaflet.

Mine is 1.5mg/ml oral suspension for dogs. That's what it says on the label.

It's recovery mix. I just ended up squirting it all up the kitchen wall :roll:

Back