• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thumpers Poop looked like my cats diorreah?!?!?!

blinkwink

Warren Scout
Erm what should a rabbits poo look like?When I went to see her today there was a huge poo in the middle of her grimey htuch it looked runny and manky?!?! She is fed only rabbit museli, when I get her on saturdy I planto chNge this entirely wil this sort poop out?!?!?!

molly2.jpg
benjy.jpg
merlin2.jpg
rubybath.jpg
Molly Kitten, Benjamin, Merlin, and beautiful Ruby....My Angels

Yes, as will a diet of 80% hay and very few complet pellets (assuming she is an adult bunny). You may want to get some probiotic in as well (avipro, bio-lapis) which goes in the water and helps with tummies.
If you are changing food, remember to do it slowly.
I bet you can't wait to pick her up - it sounds like she'll be better looked after than where she is now.

Yup, the correct diet should change that unless she is ill and actually has a gut problem causing that. You can ask the vet about it when you take her. If you can, take a poo sample too so they can see what you mean.

But yes, regardless of why she has that poo, she will need a load of hay to help her gut. You will also need to make a transition from her bad food over to a better food to give her tummy the best chance.

Yes, I will do it slowly dont want it getting worse! I hope she doesn't have gut problems and it is just her diet! Now I have something else to worry about!

ok firstly clean bedding will help her desperatly. then you want to give her as much hay as she can and will eat.. this is good for bunny guts and will help even if she has never had it before it wont upset her gut. but changing her musilea might so go very cautiously and slowly when doing this cut her down and change over gradually.. also some pellets work better or worse for differne t buns.. for example sooty gets diarriaah on excel but is fine on science select but chelsea is not good with the select and has to have excel lite... so diff buns tums will do diff things with diff foods... whereas arhtur seems to have the strongest gut i know he will eat anything.. lol :roll: also think carefully about giving anything additional like veg i wouldnt introduce anything extrta till you have sorted out her poo problem. you can give a small amount of herbs as hear dthese are good for guts but a very small amount. you could also get some fibreplex or bio lapis which helps put the good bacteria back into the gut this mihgt help stabalise her? x

Sorry. Didn't mean to give you more to worry about. Just try to think that whilst ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power.

That means in this instance that even though you might worry you will be more powerful and be able to help Thumper more. Try not to worry too much and try not to let your worry drive you to distraction because you're doing a wonderful thing here and if the worry overrides you, you will not be able to enjoy what you are doing.

Back