• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis

Kaz Johnson

Young Bun
Hi :wave:
My two buns had the myxi and VHD vaccs in January of this year. I understand there has been an increase in the myxi disease with all the wet weather this summer so just wondering do I need to get them vaccinated again before Jan 09 and also what other precautions do I need to take. My 13 mth old buns are outdoor buns (we have no other pets). Thanks Kaz:love:

Hi :wave:
My two buns had the myxi and VHD vaccs in January of this year. I understand there has been an increase in the myxi disease with all the wet weather this summer so just wondering do I need to get them vaccinated again before Jan 09 and also what other precautions do I need to take. My 13 mth old buns are outdoor buns (we have no other pets). Thanks Kaz:love:

Yes, I would definately get them Vaccinated against Myxi again ASAP. The Vaccine only provides protection for 6 months.

http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Nobivac_Myxo/090_Product_Datasheet.asp

The Virus is mainly spread by biting insects so flea treating your Buns and using mozzie netting over hutches and runs is a good idea.

Also make sure stagnant water hasn't collected in pots etc round the garden. Garden ponds also increase the risk :)

In the present state of knowledge no firm recommendation for revaccination frequency can be made but it is suggested that animals should be revaccinated annually in May/June just prior to the myxomatosis season as most myxomatosis in Britain occurs in late summer, autumn and early winter months. Where there is high risk of myxomatosis infection revaccination every six months is suggested.

After 6 months the rabbit isn't vulnerable to the virus in the same way that an unvaccinated rabbit is. The effectiveness of the vaccine just deteriorates over time. Not that any rabbit is actually immune to it, rabbits vaccinated exactly 2 weeks ago can still catch myxomatosis.

best to be safe than sorry, my partners nans rabbit was due his booster but was late having it due to illness and he caught Myxi and passed after only the first signs of it.

I would rather pay to have the injection than to have to PTS a bunny because the Myxi was to strong for my 'yearly' injected bunny to fight

When I took Frank for his first one last week, the vet was surprised but pleased I was vaccinating. He'd seen three pet rabbits with myxomatosis just that week and they all died. I don't think people round here bother as the receptionist said she couldn't remember the last time she filled out a bunny vaccination card!

I wouldn't take any risks for the £15 to £20 each bunny it costs. Not even bearing in mind the heartache of losing them to a horrible death, trying to save and eventually putting to sleep two sick rabbits could run into hundreds of pounds.

After 6 months the rabbit isn't vulnerable to the virus in the same way that an unvaccinated rabbit is. The effectiveness of the vaccine just deteriorates over time. Not that any rabbit is actually immune to it, rabbits vaccinated exactly 2 weeks ago can still catch myxomatosis.

Given the present climatic situation I would consider it highly irresponsibly not to vaccinate every 6 months when it clearly states this on the Nobivac Data information sheet:

Uses

As an aid in the prevention of myxomatosis in rabbits.

Onset of immunity: The onset of immunity was established as two weeks after vaccination.

Duration of immunity: The duration of immunity was established as 6 months.

i had 2 rabbits PTS after catching Myxi even after the jabs as these given incorrectly my other buns never caught it, and believe me it was the most heartbreaking experience ever to watch my two babies get worse and worse until i could no longer watch them and i had to take the choice of having them PTS as they suffering was so bad for them.

I religiously have mine down every 6 months at a different vet now i just couldnt go through that ever again and urge everyone one to have theres done every 6 months at a rabbit savvy Vet

Given the present climatic situation I would consider it highly irresponsibly not to vaccinate every 6 months when it clearly states this on the Nobivac Data information sheet:

Uses

As an aid in the prevention of myxomatosis in rabbits.

Onset of immunity: The onset of immunity was established as two weeks after vaccination.

Duration of immunity: The duration of immunity was established as 6 months.

That's the 'at a glance' summary information. Read the rest of the page and you will see the actual details that I quoted.

That's the 'at a glance' summary information. Read the rest of the page and you will see the actual details that I quoted.

I have and I stand by my opinion that the vaccine should be given every 6 months
This is also the recommendation of my Vet and The Rabbit Welfare Association Veterinary Advisor :)

Last edited:
haffyj, can you tell me more about how the vaccine can be given incorrectly? I've heard several ways the vaccine is given, including a bit in the ear then the scruff, injecting a bit into the dermis of the skin the subcutaneously etc...

I can't see what the argument is here. Even if there is only the smallest chance that a bunny could catch myxi 6 months after its original vaccination surely it is worth the tiny cost £15 to protect your beloved pet.

An extra £15 a year is a small amount to give you piece of mind that your bunny is protected, also balance that against the cost of trying to treat your rabbit if it did get full blown myxi. Even having it PTS straight away costs more than £15.

There is no argument get your rabbit vaccinated every 6 months

haffyj, can you tell me more about how the vaccine can be given incorrectly? I've heard several ways the vaccine is given, including a bit in the ear then the scruff, injecting a bit into the dermis of the skin the subcutaneously etc...

10% of the vaccine needs to be given intradermally. Some Vets do this by giving that part in the base of the ear where the skin is thickest. Others rely on their own 'injecting skills' and inject just into the scruff, pulling the needle back a bit so as 10% goes intradermally

:)

I believe it is meant to be given 10% in the base of ear and the rest into the scruff of the neck. Mine were not given in this way, all 6 of mine were just given in the scruff not long after wards 2 of mine got Myxi and within 2 weeks AMber become unbelievibly bad i had to PTS as she was suffering so much and then her mother contracted it and started to get juts as bad so i also PTS.

Oh poop - I think my vet just injected into the scruff like they do with a dog or cat. :( If Frank gets sick because of it there will be trouble.

Back