• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unusual foul smelling caecal poos

toffee

Mama Doe
Morning all.

I have found caecal poos in Wallace and Oliver's house for a few days now that smell really foul. They are fairly runny and smell really sickly and rancid.

The buns seem well in themselves though - eating normally and still doing normal poo as well.

I don't know what could be causing this. Their diet has not changed.

What should I do?

I'm considering putting them both on just hay and water for a few days to see if they go back to normal. Another problem is that I don't know who is doing it as both buns are clean.

Any advice appreciated.

o dear doesn't sound good, try giving them so probiotic in their water make sure their drinking plenty and eating loads of hay. did you feed them something different? they may just have had an upset tummy, maybe something stressed them like a cat walking by. hope they feel better soon.

I have some probiotic paste so I'll give them some of that. They've been on Excel light for a couple of weeks which they don't normally have but they've been fine until a few days ago.

mmmm strange maybe something has just upset them. keep a wee eye on it, if it gets an worse or they keep doing it you may need to take a trip to the vets. good luck. :love:

I would put them on hay and water until it clears up, then reintroduce the pellets slowly. If it isn't better in a day or so I'd pop them to the vets, make sure you get their teeth checked as squishy poo can be the first sign of teeth trouble.

Thanks.

Melanie has been doing soft poos as well since being on the excel (I plan to put them all back on their normal food asap, it's just excel was the only thing available last time I needed food) but hers don't smell bad like these ones.

Should I take a sample of poo to the vet if I need to go?

I heard alot of members say that their bunnys have had sticky stinky poos with excel , i had same problem with Oxbow 15/23 i changed mine over a 2 week period to A/P and they have been excellent since, if you can get a few Blackberry Leaves and wash n strip out the little thorns they are really good for upset tummys and sloppy poos Hope ya bunnys are ok soon :)

Back