• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fur question

We have two 8 month old rabbits. Both are males. The smaller one has parts of his fur that are lower than the rest. Not bare just lower. Its a little hard to describe. We were wodering if the other might be chewing on his fur. Do bunnies do this?These are the first rabbits we have owned so any advice would be appreciated.

Does teh place where the shorter part starts go round him in a line? Could he have been moulting? When Gregory moulted he looked liek a had a fluffy skirt type thing going on round his back, then gradually receding down to his bottom until now all his hair is short. You would probably know if it was this though as there is a lot of fur comes out!

Someone else with more idea will be along soon I'm sure!

I did not know that bunnies molt. That does sound like the way he looks but we have not found fur anywhere. Will have to keep any eye out. Do they mot once or once a year? Thanks for your help. We were worried :D

Well Gregory has only moulted once this year, but I think it can vary depending on weather or whether they are indoor/outdoor bunnies. I'm not sure enough to give you a proper answer but if you search for moulting on here there'll be some info I'm sure!

Thanks for the input. I searched the site and found info on molting. From the photos that I found I am sure that this is what is happening with BR! Thanks so much!:D

:wave: Hiya welcome to RU ! It does sound asthough your bunny is moulting :) My bunnies seem to have been in permanent moult this year :shock: Buns can eat each others fur, it is known as barbering :)

Thanks to both of you. :D We have other pets ( dog, cat , cocktail and chickens) but am finding the bunnies a little overwelming. I was very happy to find this site and read some of the good info on it. From the info I found I am preety confident that BR is molting .Now Peter Rabbit is too.
Thanks Again

Back