• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urine problems

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
Poor little Stumpy has suffered with a sticky bum for aslong as we have had him. he is on a restricted diet of just a few pellets and occasional veg, with his diet being mainly hay because of his. this seems to help his sticky bum but the last month now it isnt his poos causing him problems. he is now always stained with wee. his fur around his bum and on his back feet and part of his belly is always stained and hard from it-is this anything to worry about? he is litter trained and quite good with it too. we have been having to fill up their water bowl twice a day(he lives with his girlfriend Molly) but not 100% sure if its just him drinking it or both of them. he turns 4 in november-should i be worried? or is this all normal things im working myself up over?

I would say he most definately needs to be seen by your Vet.
He may have bladder sludge which can cause a Bun to leak wee and also to drink a lot. But so can Renal problems and EC
Being constanly wet from wee will mean he is at high risk of Urine scald and flystrike. So you will need to be vigilant re keeping him as clean and dry as possible. Applying a barrier such as Vaseline to his inner thighs and tummy will help protect his skin and stringent hutch hygeine and Fly control is also essential.

My foster Bouncer was incontinent for 5 months off & on. He was treated for urine infections, but it turned out to be EC. He was panacured for 6 weeks, but died just as he finished treatment.

Thankyou for that, i will get him booked in. i did think about doing it but thought to check here first for advice before stressing him out and rushing him up there.

he is an indoor bunny and because he has had sticky bum he is checked every day. he is kept clean but i try to avoid bathing him if i can as he hates it so have been using damp clothes instead, it just doesnt do the job as good.

do you have any more info on the health problems you mentioned? would like to read up on them a bit if i can.

right just got one of the rabbit books out and had a look at the sludgy bladder section and it does sound about right because ive said to my partner the last couple of weeks that he seems to have lost weight and that appears to be a symptom of this. have booked him in for 2.15pm friday so will let you know what the vet says. she is very good with the bunnies so hopefully she will help get to the bottom of this.

Angie: so sorry to hear about your foster bunny, that is such a shame :( do you mind me asking what EC is? im trying to find out about it but not having much luck.

Back