• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

going outside

TanyaB

Young Bun
Baileys booked in for his jabs at the vets and to confirm his sex and to arrange when he can be neutered on tuesday what i wanted to know is
Is he allowed outside (in a run) before he's had his jabs or am i better waiting til he's had them both?

Also they said they'd have to do one tuesday and then we'd have to bring him back for the other a wk or two later
i'm sure i've read of people getting them done together :?

TIA Tanya x

With all animals cats/dogs etc it is recommended that they are kept away from places where they can come into contact with disease 10-14 days after the vaccine has been given to allow their body to build up an immunity!
If your garden is a place the bunny may become at risk from Myxomatosis or Viral heamorrhagic Diarrhoea then I personally would leave it as I belive it is not workthe risk, on the other hand if they were at risk in the graden I wouldn't put my bunny there anyway as any vaccination is not 100% guaranteed to prevent the disease depends on the animals immune system!

I wouldn't know what would put him more at risk tbh , i really need to read up on the diseases :oops:

What would make our garden high risk?

Baileys booked in for his jabs at the vets and to confirm his sex and to arrange when he can be neutered on tuesday what i wanted to know is
Is he allowed outside (in a run) before he's had his jabs or am i better waiting til he's had them both?

Also they said they'd have to do one tuesday and then we'd have to bring him back for the other a wk or two later
i'm sure i've read of people getting them done together :?

TIA Tanya x

Myxomatosis is spread by biting insects so an indoor Rabbit is just as vulnerable as an outdoor Bun.
Personally I would wait til both vaccinations have been done. If you have the Myxo done first then the VHD can be done TWO WEEKS later. Immunity is achieved after 6 days using the LAPINJECT VHD Vaccine but the CYLAP one takes 21 days for a full immune response.

On both VHD Vaccine and the Myxo Vaccine Data information sheets it states that there should be 14 days between vaccination

http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Nobivac_Myxo/090_Product_Datasheet.asp

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Fort_Dodge_Animal_Health/Cylap/-44934.html

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/CEVA_Animal_Health_Ltd/Lapinject_VHD/-42507.html

The only other pet we have is a hamster but next door have a cat and we quite often get foxes in our garden (hence bailey being an indoor rabbit, well that and we're to soft to put him outdoors in the cold) lol

I don't think it's fair not to let him have the benefit of fresh air and sunshine from time to time, so he'll be allowed out in his run in a mth or so once the vaccines are established and he'll be well watched because of the risk from cats/foxes

Thanks for all the help :)

Make sure you ask a good rabbit savvy vet to confirm his sex as I just went to my local vets and they got it wrong :roll:

The pet shop told us baileys a boy so i'm hoping the vet will just be confirming this
we don't mind if he turns out to be a she though lol

Back