• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about how to do bonding

kcbunny

Young Bun
Frank and Bitsy had a major fight (Frank needed an operation to fix his eye)two weeks ago and have been separated ever since

they have also been neutered and are about 14 weeks now

I would dearly love them to be back together but am sooo scare dthey will hurt each other

I let them out together in the garden the other day to see what would happen and they attacked each other

since then they have been sniffing noses through the mesh of the run

I am so confused as to how to bond them not sure where to start

I cant imgine ever leaving them unattended as would hate there to be more bloodshed

It is coming to the point where I need to do it or just bite the bullet and buy bitsy a big hutch like franks-he is in a temporary one which has been ok while I am off work as he is out of it a lot during the day but school holidays are over in a couple of weeks and i couldnt leave him in there all day

could anyone advise me how to do the bonding please??

I'm currently bonding my male and female rabbit, 1st attempt a couple of months ago was a disaster, we then let them get used to each other by keeping them side by side in their runs, at the weekend we used a new (completely neutral) run in the garden and there was some fur pulling and chasing but nothing too bad, we used a water spray bottle to seperate them if things got a bit carried away but didn't need to use it much, my female is dominant and poor chester does seem wary of her but was quite submissive so i,m sure the doe will be the boss!
Good luck.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=55913&highlight=bonding I bond between 2 - 3 pairs of rabbits a week, I use the method described in the above thread.

From your post I am unable to tell if your rabbits are 2 males, although going from the fact that they are now neutered I would guess this is the case. You also dont mention how long these rabbits have now been neutered. You mention that they have previously been separated after having a fight but not if this was before or after they were neutered. Without more information it is very difficult to advise .....

You mention that they have both been together in the garden the other day and they had a fight. You dont mention how big the area was that they have had access to and also if this area is an area where they both have been together before.

If you wish to bond these rabbits you need to ensure that you have adequate time to put them together and to be able to leave them together without having to separate them. You need a totally separate area where neither has been before or where you can remove all smells from that area before putting them together.

Thanks for the replies and help

More information:

They are both boys(in spite of bitsy's girly name) and had got on great up until they had a fight at 12 weeks before they were neutered-this was two weeks ago monday

they were neutered two weeks ago tomorrow(thurs)

as Frank was so badly injured they were separated immediately and have been ever since

Our garden is quite big but they both have access to this-one at a time

I really want to get the bonding sorted out while I still have time with it being the school holidays and I am not at work

I am presuming they will be territorial about their hutches now? Frank has the big one they both lived in previously how do I get rid of frank's smell?

I am sooo worried that they will fight again and more blood shed -the children were particularly traumatised by the state Frank was in

Hello

I am in the same situation as you.

Please please read my thread put on Today. "please don't be cross - I'm so sorry"

You are doing the right thing by asking lots of questions and please be careful. I know how much you want your 2 boys back together, I do too.
But make sure you read as much as possible on here.I wish I had followed everyones advice instead of 1 single person.

Let's hope we both have success in the future

Good Luck

Back