• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what sexes do you have in big groups

gill shirlaw

Warren Scout
Just as title sais how many of you have at least six bunnies living as a group and what are your sex mixes, do you feel more girls or more boys are best or would you say from your experiences its purely down to personalities of buns.

Would be very interested in what you have.

well I only have 5 but we have more boys thatn girls. In our group the boys get along best and if theres any problems it's usually the girls.

I have a 9. 4 unrelated boys, & 5 girls. 2 of the girls are sisters & one of the boys is dad to one of the girls.

It was a 13, but 2 girls died & I had to remove 2 boys as their death affected the group & the 2 boys started getting bullied.

The remaining 9 get on really well & are usually all piled into one litter tray:D

I have 8, as of yet all unneutured/spayed so are seperated, boys and girls. When they were younger and could be together I found most of the trouble came from the eldest doe. As they are mostly youngsters maybe their personalies haven't developed completely yet. To date i'd say the boys are the easiest.

At this moment in time looking back on past large groups, the boys were the easiest because they bonded themselves.

When the big six were alive, the two boys I was worried about bonded themselves and I just let the girls get on with it.

At the moment I'm having most trouble with two girls, one spayed, one not yet old enough and partially blind :roll:

what sexes do you have in large groups

Gem how many boys and how many girls were in your larege six if you remember? thanks for your reply appreciated

Lynne18 thanks for your reply i agree my boys seem the more laid back

Angie65 what size of space do you have - as i have posted on housing to ask the question as i have six at the mo four in my large set up seperated by mesh and two singles soon to be bonded. I have a shed 8 by 6 and a playhouse 4 by 4 with a run running from one to the other including the 8 by 6 shed space behind which adds to 26 feet by 5 feet and would love to rescue another couple at some point making it an eight if i manage to bond them all - i have the space and housing if it doesnt work out and they are all neutered for a long time at mo. Would you think that adequte for maybe 8 bunnies?.
I have pm you before about the bonding and hope to again by end of sept if thats okay by you as my wee doe is getting neutered next week and i hope to try and bond all six at end of sept giving her hormones a chance to die down.

thanks for your reply in meantime.

Deelove how many boys and how many girls if you have more boys than girls? and what set up do you have - thanks for you reply.

Thanks everyone anyone else with large groups id really appreciate you letting me know what you have and who gets along best thanks.

:wave:

I have 5, 3 boys and 2 girls. As mine are mum, dad and babies, they are 5 months old, they all get along well.

But I dont know if this would be the case if they wernt related?

My bunns are getting neutered next month so we should have even more happiness :)

I have 5, 3 boys and 2 girls. As mine are mum, dad and babies, they are 5 months old, they all get along well.

But I dont know if this would be the case if they wernt related?

My bunns are getting neutered next month so we should have even more happiness :)

At 5 months the girls are old enough to get pregnant by their brothers or dad & for mum to get pregnant by her sons.

My buns are in a room by day, with shelves & hutches to make it bigger. On a night or at weekend I open the door & they can run out into my garden or into my living room. I'm not sure of room size:oops: It was a living room though:oops:

well I only have 5 but we have more boys thatn girls. In our group the boys get along best and if theres any problems it's usually the girls.

Same here! Only two girls in a big group yet they're the two that fight.

thanks rabbiting on and tinsel for your advice its good to know what everyone has and im beginning to get a picture that the boys tend to get on best so aside from personalities im thinking more boys than girls makes for a better group happiness.

anyone else that has big groups if you feel like letting me know that be a great help too.

gill:wave:

Ooops - spoke a bit soon - see my new post! Looks like it's sorted though, whereas problems between girls never seem to be in my experience. (Others may have managed it though!!)

Hehe, no problem! Guess I must have jinxed my boys by saying they get on brilliantly. Luckily, now they've taught me a lesson, they're back to being fine with each other again, touch wood. I do hope you have success with your group :wave:

Hiya karen 354

thanks for that im def feeling the girls could be a bother, the funny thing is the two mixed pairs i have at the moment out of them when they are near each other at the mesh (i let them have turns in the larger part and they can get up close with a double mesh between them and the boys did start to try to get at each other a bit but now seem not too bad but if the girls get close they are the ones that want to have a proper go if you know what i mean and one of the girls is the most timid wee thing wont let anyone near her apart from her hubbie and the other girl is very confident and nosey so am a bit worried about trying to bond the large groupp. The two single buns personality are the boy Benji he is a wee cutey but can be very territorial with everything his cage hutch if you go in front of him on his landing in the hall anything he lumges at you but other than than hes a wee pet and the single girly Misty who is only 14 weeks at mo is the most lovable bun ive ever had and gives the world licks all the time no matter if shes met them before but is very cheecky and confident and will go anywhere in the house where the rest would oinly stick to certain areas but she explores everywhere even walking over the dog who is a big golden retrievor with no worries their more scared of her i think!!lol!! so bonding this six is going to be a nervewracking experience as they are mostly confident buns.

thanks alot for your reply appreciated.

gill:wave:

I have 3 males and 3 females in a group of 6. They were all in male/female pairs beforehand.

Males bonded no probs. Any "tiffs" and by that I mean a bit of chasing or nudging, nothing remotely aggressive, is always done by the females and thats the boss of the group , Frags my lionhead calling the shots :D

Completely mis read the title of this....I thought... kinky question!!

:lol::lol::lol:

I did that the other day. Someone put up a thread titled "Cooking For Rabbits" and I quickly scanned it as "Cooking Rabbits!" :shock::shock::shock::lol::lol::lol:

Lea-anne have pm you but thanks for replying very helpful.

Thumper and boo - glad i hadnt offended anyone just looked at it myself see where you were coming from certainly could have been mis-read:oops::wave:lol!!

Back