• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leaking hutch

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
Alfie has a hutch and run combo from Happy Hutch and I've only had it up since the end of June.

I woke up this morning to find that water had soaked through the wood to the inside. :( It hasn't rained particularly heavily, but it must have been coming down at a funny angle :? because it's just on one side. It seems to be seeping in through the edges of the tongue and groove if that makes sense.

Has anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions to stop it please? The sun's out now, so hopefully it should dry quickly, but it's going to be a big problem in the winter.

I want to line the inside with sheets of thin plywood because Alfie has been chewing all the wooden battens round the edges :roll::lol: That should help make it warmer but I really need to make the outside watertight first.

not had this before but i would suggest covering the area with a sheet of plastic, hope he dry and ok xx

Old canvas horse rugs:lol: The will keep the hug warm & dry in winter. I have a shed full of old rugs in case they "come in handy". I don't usually have outdoor buns though:lol:

Thanks for the replies. :wave: Must look for horse rugs. :lol:

Wilkinsons sell blue tarpaulins that are just the right size for a 6ft hutch

This one: http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0169444

It has eyelets so you can hold it in place with elasticated bungee/luggage hooks (also sold at Wilkinsons).

Do you have a pic of how it fits please? I've got a tarpaulin that sounds very similar in size (6ftx8ft) and I've placed it over the roof so it hangs down onto the run and keeps that part dry. Then I have plastic that comes right down to the floor on the front (but it's folded back over the tarp in the attached picture). It leaves the sides open though, which is where the problem is. :(

ETA: Spot the sulking bunny in the photo because he hasn't been out for his morning run.

DSCF6576700x525.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't realise you already had a cover on. The tarp I linked to will leave the sides open, much like the one you've already got.

In which case, you can either buy a bigger tarp (try B&Q in the builders yard section) or re-treat the wood. I'd recommend Cuprinol ducksback.

I didn't realise you already had a cover on. The tarp I linked to will leave the sides open, much like the one you've already got.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the tarp and I felt like I'd already waffled enough when I read back my original post. :lol: Then I wondered if maybe there was a better way of putting the tarp on. :? I will have a lookie for a bigger one, thank you. :D

What about retreating the wood then getting a clear silicone type sealant and running it round the edges of the wood on the outside?

Back