• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunnie had a strange turn/possible fit? tonight U/D Test Results Pg 4

CRBevis

Mama Doe
She been her normal self all day which for a sunday is eating hay and sleeping.

At 5pm gave her her food which was some readygrass and 6 Oxbow Bunnie Basics T pellets. We have started her on a no veg diet to see if her poo blowouts stop as I am certain she is intolerent to fruit and veg no matter how smaller piece.

Anyway she turned her nose up at her exciting dinner and just carried on snoozing in her litter tray. After about 15 minutes she flipped over on her side and was laying there fine until she slightly raised her head up and then started shaking all over and her heart was going ten to the dozen. Her eyes were almost shut and we were able to touch her bum squeeze her backs paws and put are hands under her to lift her up which is a definate no no for the Bunster. She remained like this for about 5 - 10 minutes. When it stopped she slowly sat up and just sat there and then started to clean. She then didn't eat anything we offered her for about 15minutes. I then offered her one of her pellets and she went to slowly take hold of it but then released . She done this several times and then stopped. I waited another couple if minutes and then tried again at which point she took the pellet from me gently and eat it, she then started eating her hay and seemed to be her normal self again.

Any experience of this or ideas??

We are going to take her to the vet to get her checked and blood taken to get her tested for EC. Nothing like this has ever happened to her before, that we know of. We thought she was having a heart attack or a little fit and was going to die.

Another question do they have to sedate them to take the blood and roughly how much does it cost. And do they only test for EC or do they do a complete blood screen?

Shes absolutly fine now though running around eating pooing drinking.

She is panacured every 6 months for the 9 days, and has never been ill except for stasis twice due to veg.

Last edited:
oh hun cant offer any advice, other than send vibes for the little one. its good that your vet knows whats going on
someone will be able to help soon.
x

Oh dear :( bless the poor baby. hope everything goes well at the vets. Cant give you any advice... just sending lots of luck :) hope someone comes along to help you xxx

The only thing I can suggest is that it may have been a seizure :?

I certainly hope the vet can fix her, sending vibes your way that she's fine - whatever it was.

We have never seen a bun have a seizure so we don't know how violent it is so we got not idea really. Suppose all can do is have blood tests done and see if can rule out EC. Whatever it was it had Wayne in tears and me having to be the strong one for once.

I had bun a few years ago who suffered seizures time to time. He did pretty much same as what you describe and always came out of it by himself. Vet advise was unless seizures happening frequently and causing distress then medication may be considered. He never needed it. Hope this helps a bit.

We have never seen a bun have a seizure so we don't know how violent it is so we got not idea really. Suppose all can do is have blood tests done and see if can rule out EC. Whatever it was it had Wayne in tears and me having to be the strong one for once.

I've never seen a seizure in anything; although I've heard about kids having them from my mam and it sounds kind of like it; carrying on like "normal" afterwards anyways - certainly one for a vet though.

I had bun a few years ago who suffered seizures time to time. He did pretty much same as what you describe and always came out of it by himself. Vet advise was unless seizures happening frequently and causing distress then medication may be considered. He never needed it. Hope this helps a bit.

How violent was it though, was it like really obvious or was it like if someones nervous and hand shakes?

And can they just develop it as she is 3 on Friday and we have never witnessed anything like this before unless it been happening when we in bed or out but that would be highly unlikely for us to always miss it i would of thought

Last edited:
When bunnys fit do they go rigid all over like humans??

Bunnie was a bit stiff but her legs weren't sticking out rigid but her head was in funny position.

Can buns trap nerves in there necks or anything??????

Last edited:
I've had a bun with a similar fit type episode. To take blood my vet didnt need to sedate her. He shaved her ear and took blood that way around £25.00.
This was to test for EC.

Test was negative. However, we tried all sorts of medication last ditch attempt was a long course of Panacur.

She hasnt had a seizure since.

They were fairly regular once a week, this dropped to once a month. She hasnt had once since! Very odd.

Im not sure what this was!
Neither is our vet!

I've had a bun with a similar fit type episode. To take blood my vet didnt need to sedate her. He shaved her ear and took blood that way around £25.00.
This was to test for EC.

Test was negative. However, we tried all sorts of medication last ditch attempt was a long course of Panacur.

She hasnt had a seizure since.

They were fairly regular once a week, this dropped to once a month. She hasnt had once since! Very odd.

Im not sure what this was!
Neither is our vet!

Did it just come on as in start happening out of the blue and what was it like?

Was she rigid and what was body moving like and how much.

Bunnie was just shaking a little all over but did not seem rigid.

It began or I noticed after a month of having her. (she was 18 months old) The fits varied the worse behaviour once was: she sort of tried washing her face but missed completely, tongue stuck out then fall backwards. Her neck would go stiff and sort of lock back with her head facing up. Looked extremely painful.

She would go floppy and would not move for about half an hour and drool. This was an instant vet trip.

She would be fine within an hour of this although had diarhea afterwards.

Other times I would find her head facing in the corner of the dog crate. Like something scared her. Again the washing face motions and falling on her back would start. The head locking up again.

You can view previous posts some good advice on them too.
Hope this helps.

It began or I noticed after a month of having her. (she was 18 months old) The fits varied the worse behaviour once was: she sort of tried washing her face but missed completely, tongue stuck out then fall backwards. Her neck would go stiff and sort of lock back with her head facing up. Looked extremely painful.

She would go floppy and would not move for about half an hour and drool. This was an instant vet trip.

She would be fine within an hour of this although had diarhea afterwards.

Other times I would find her head facing in the corner of the dog crate. Like something scared her. Again the washing face motions and falling on her back would start. The head locking up again.

You can view previous posts some good advice on them too.
Hope this helps.

Thank you:)

I didn't witness all of it but Wayne said it was like her heart and breathing was so fast that her whole body was moving with her heart which made it look like she was shaking.

He reckons it wasn't a fit, it was her heart and breathing so fast that her whole body was moving to the beats.

After, she jumped up and seemed a bit dazed and then just wanted nose rubs then began eating hay and pellet. She now running around binkying and dragging her snuggle bucket across the floor.

She definetly off to vet for check and blood tests!

maybe a seizure..my youngest daughter when she was very little used to get febrile convulsions and sometimes youd think she was just breathing funny until you realised she wasnt on this planet and sometimes youd see her hands and feet shudder or shed hold her arms..legs or head rigid.......im epileptic and was worried sick..but touch wood shes 21 now and fine never had convulsions after her tonsils were taken out cos they were rotten aged 3...it was the septic side plus fever that did it and i know it can be the same for animals.
i have only ever experienced a rabbit fitting before it died which doesnt count as he was panicking and fighting for his breath in betwen seizures....

sounds like he had a stroke and had gone blind and it then caused respiratory failure..but the pdsa just held him up never listend to his chest..gave him a pain kiler and sachet of science recovery and sent him home..dying and said he was fine:censored:

he had run thru dog squits onthe path outside our house and it could have been a parasite from that or E.C as i didnt know about worming them for that.,..he was my second bunny and i had only read articles on it but didnt know about a treatment.
when Bif had blood work taken..they had to take her to the hospital as she had 3 puncture wounds in her neck where they took a lot of blood to test across the board and they found she was 10% positive titre for EC.

i will keep fingers crossed for you..it must be so scary..but shell be in good hands.

let us know how you go and tonite take it turns just to keep an eye on her..as the poo blowouts and this episode could well be related and she may have an underlying infection thats not obvious but it owuld be good to monitor her as much as poss...

sending vibes

Yeah i can't even think about going to bed.

Thought about if she has another blow out taking it to vet to have culture grown or maybe just blood test for EC and whatever else might just do.

She's fine in herself now

I don't know if it not one thing it another:roll:

When it happened she didn't seem stiff wayne said just hole body was moving too her fast heart and breathing. And her head was at an angle like looking up but sometimes she does that anyway laying on her side looking up as though she thinking bout getting up but can't either decide or be bothered.

Last edited:
From what I have read it seems it may have been a gentle fit.

I don't know it's one thing ater another. My cars is in for much needed new brake pads tomorrow so hope nothing happens. Plus Wayne is getting poorly with constant lung infection so he has hospital on Tueaday to see if it time for him to start IV's again. Bloody CF.

Come on Bunnie don't go getting ill on us, she keeps us smiling:D

The seizures weren't violent. It was by chance I noticed the 1st episode so kept a close eye on him. It presented like him tensing up and looked like he was shivering. At that time he appeared "vacant" and I was able to touch his back legs with no response. After about 5-10 mins he slowly started moving around, I could tell he wasn't quite himself tho. Within 45mins-1 hour he was back to his normal self. Did take a good few hours for his appetite to return. Through out it I just made sure he continued breathing and didn't choke. Shortly after this he became a house bunny. He was roughly 1-2 years when this started, no apparent cause was found. He lived happily to grand age.

I did find my vet wasn't to bothered at first and I think he thought I eas a bit neurotic!! It did take a few visits to the vets & 1 witnessed episode for him to part with any advice.

Back