• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rearguard/Beaphar Fly Guard

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone ever used Beaphar Fly Guard before? It appears to do the same thing as Rearguard but looks like it has several advantages.

(1) It's available over the counter rather than via prescription. Rearguard seems to be prescription only.
(2) It lasts for 3 months rather than 8-10 weeks.
(3) One bottle treats up to 5 rabbits (probably only 2 or 3 medium sized rabbits in reality though).

I've usually just relied on daily bum checks but am starting to think I may treat them with something as well, just to be on the safe side.

I use fly guard on my bunnies, are aren't particularly at risk from flystrike. If they were I think I would try to get rear guard instead. I believe fly guard stops the eggs being laid in the first place but rear guard goes further and kills any that are already on them?

Rearguard will not deter flies, it will only prevent eggs hatching once they have been laid.

I give mine two bum checks a day.

As I went away at the weekend, I treated them with Rearguard "just in case" to be on the safe side. I don't like to put too much chemicals ont them in case there is a reaction.

I would recommend that if you don't regularly treat your bun with Rearguard, then at least have one in for "emergency".

think the difference is the fly gaurd.... will deter flys from actually landing on the bun...where as the rear gaurd will allow flys to land but any eggs that get laid will die and not hatch. xx

Thanks for the info everyone - much appreciated. Think the Rearguard looks like the best bet. Next question(!) - how on earth do you stop the buns from licking themselves once you've applied it? I don't like the thought of them licking a strong chemical.

think the difference is the fly gaurd.... will deter flys from actually landing on the bun...where as the rear gaurd will allow flys to land but any eggs that get laid will die and not hatch. xx

Fly Guard says it does kill eggs and early stage larvae :D

Back