• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help please i am going o cry!!!!!!

bunny-lover

Young Bun
my rabbit milly has white bits in the corner of its eyes that look like a partial third eyelid? is this EC???! omigod! omg please help im scared!:(:cry:[/

help me please!:(:cry:

Does it look like a white film, like an eyelid that moves from the corner of her eye?

Not sure but I think that's normal. I've only one bunny that I've seen it on but I see it when she's half dozing.

I didn't know about it until I saw a picture of a rabbit on here and someone commented about the "third eyelid". I have looked but can't find anything.

Someone with more expertise will come along but I think it might be nothing at all to panic about.

does it look like this?

JaynieBirthday002.jpg

This is a picture I found on the forum of a 'third eyelid'

It could simply be daily dirt generated by dust. Human has the same issue. Not all the dirt generated at the corner of the eye is the same color. One of my bridge bunny has liquid like white dirt at the corner, and they are soft, (usually the color is brown), and I have to move the eyelid together to "squeeze" it out daily.

The easiest way is to take a photo and post it here

it is nothing like this...much smaller...rightin the corner..it may be hay seeds as milly was rooting around in the bag!:?

It could well be the normal third eyelid. The picture above shows a rabbit with the third eyelid coming across the eye to an abnormal degree but in a normal bunny it will sit in the corner of the eye and only be visible as a small pale pink triangle. Check both sides - if they match then it's unlikely to be anything too exciting. E. cuniculi affects the lens which is deeper within the eye so it won't be due to this.

it is nothing like this...much smaller...rightin the corner..it may be hay seeds as milly was rooting around in the bag!:?

sounds exactly like a third eyelid. I can see Sorrel's when she's sleepy and its much smaller that the one in the above pic...I cant get a pic for you though cos sher doesnt always show it. can you get a photo of your rabbit's eye?

*cry*

i went out to see milly this mornng.... milly has a runny eye which is weeping white fluid, milly closes the eye sometimes for a few minutes...but im worried as he hasnt been vaccinated for myxi yet (he is due in next week) his top eyelid also looks slightly swolen. I have bathed the eye with water and cotton buds, and i will keep this up through the day...if it doednt clear up im taking him to the vets. Mum will have to drive me...im 15!!! :lol: IM WORRIED FOR MY BABY MILLY:(HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!:(

ok firstly calm down and stop panic ing. lets see can you take a picture of the eye? it sounds more like something has gotten into it and that the eye has become swollen or conjunctivitus which antibiotics will clear up.

other myxi symptoms i would look for in case it is (tho unliekly as not really myxi season ) swollen genitals..... a nodule on nose..inflamed nose.... nodules/lumps on body.... lethargicness and not wanting to eat much...colder feel to bun than normal.

regardles sof what it is you should get bun vaccs soon as poss for myxi as without a vaccs they will not survive it. im sure this isnt what your bun has but take along to a good rabbit vet to be sure.x

He may simply have scratched it or have a bit of an infection. If you're worried the best thing to do is to ring your vet, they will advise whether he needs to come in or not. :)

go to a friend or a neighbour, borrow a digital camera, take a photo and post it here. It's not possible to help you without that photo

Back