• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does anyone know how to ...

Does anyone know how is the best way to get rid of dried up poo that is stuck to the rabbit's bottom? The dried poo is very much attached to the fur and it is so hard now that it would not come off in the bath.

Thanks.
browneyedgal

Last edited:
I'd say cutting it off would be the best idea, but you may need a second person to help if your bun is a wriggler.

Be warned that rabbit skin is VERY thin, so be very careful not to cut the skin accidentally. If you're not totally confident, it might be better to ask your vet or a professional animal groomer.

oh goodness me!!! poor bunnyand poor you :lol:

Id probably be inclined to bathe the bunny to soften the poo first then pick it off gently as a pose to using any sharp implement.

You could maybe use cotton wool to soften it or something

I have a tiny pair of round nosed scissors and just go gently.

I had to cut poo off the feet of one of my new fosters and this is quite tricky as there wasn't much distance between the poo and the base of the foot. It you can get someone to hold bunny on their lap while you trim you should be fine.

Thanks for the advice.

I will try to keep her sitting in 1 inch deep warm water for a few minutes and see if the dried up poo will start to dissolve. If not, then I will have no choice but to resort to cutting her fur off. I suspect it will be hard because it's her bottom that we are talking about here ... lol :lol: She'll end up with a bare bottom ... that will look funny :oops:

If she is sat in water can you try and soften the poo between your fingers and gradually work it out of her fur

Back