• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cleaning a Dirty Bottom

Jonny

Warren Scout
Hi everyone

We've recently been on holiday and on our return Ben (pictured) has a lot of faeces caked around his rear end. This happened before, and we had to get the vet to remove it. I was going to try to it myself at home this time, but I really don't want to stress him out as he hates being handled and has just had a traumatic car journey back from the bunnysitter!

Basically I need some advice as to the best way to remove the dirt. It's rock hard, so I think I'll hurt him if I pull it too much. I think the vet used warm water last time to soften it - any ideas?:)

Also - a friend told me when bathing or using any water on a bunny to dry him thoroughy with a hair dryer or they can catch a chill. Is this true?

Thanks in advance,
Jonny.

Thats terrible how could the bunny sitter let him get in such a state? I'd use warm water with some rabbit shampoo and gently work at it. If you do use a hairdryer keep it on a cold setting and only if the rabbit isn't showing signs of distress.

What is your bunnies diet like? What feed do you use? The poor bunny shouldn't be caked in poo.

The only way to do it in my opinion is to cut it off. And yes, i think the bunny sitter should have dealt with this, and even better, not let it happen!

EDIT - also bunnies get dirty bums bu not having enough hay. If he's simply not eating it, chop it up and put it in his mix :)

Also it's true with all animals about chill. Just keep them in the warm until they're completely dry.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Phoned vet who recommended I bathe it in a hibiscrub solution and wash with a warm sponge.

Poor Ben is a very nervous bun and is going to hate this...:(

Ben likes his food, but mostly ignores the hay. My buns spend a lot of time in the garden, which means he is eating vast quantities of grass. I thought this would be good for him, but I'm wondering whether it contributes to his poo problem, as it seems to recur every few months.

if its sticky rub cornflour in and it will slide off. if its very hard...trim anything you cant get off with a small scissors but bathe in warm water and this will soften it...keep rubbing with gloved fingers if you worried about dirt or just fingers and try and pull it off gently... (as if it was blue tack you were sqeezing..) then gently pull it away. be very careful in this hot weather of fly strike at the slightest sign of maggots get him to the vet. also i would preventativly rear gaurd him.... do they change his diet at the borders? do they limit his hay? do they give him too muc fruit and veg ? any of these can cause this but the sitter should have sorted this out. find somewhere else next time.

Back