• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I really need your advise please

marley

Young Bun
Hi everyone Im very new to this forum, so Im sorry if I ramble:oops: I have to lovely buns, Buster and Bonnie, when I got them, 3 years now, I had a big garden with large lawns. We moved a year ago, to a tiny garden fully decked, that was my first concern, but most people said as long as they have hay and space don't worry. I have been letting them freerange in the garden, but they escaped next door, I have a lovely neighbour and she didnt mind, I fenced off the border and thought all was ok til this am, escaped again, to next door, lifted the deck and they are now back. They have a rablu by omlet with a 6ft permanent run attatched, but this is forsale as it does'nt suit the garden, and the buns get wet underfoot because of the deck, I've provided 2 tree stumps and dog bed for them to go, but I do feel a wooden hutch would be better. But my problem is the run I don't think Buster could stand being shut in a 6x4 run, Bonnie would be fine shes just happy to pootle about. I've been so upset this morning because I thought I had the garden secure, I sometimes think my garden is not the best and they would be better with another mummy:cry: but I do love them and to let them go would be awful, sorry to go on please can you offer me any advise, thankyou!

I'm definitely with you on getting rid of the eglu thing, they're not really that good for rabbits and very expensive.

Is your garden just completely decked? If not, perhaps there is a spot where you could put a secure run attached to a shed/playhouse.

If it is totally decked, I wonder if it is worth investing in some sheets of plywood, that you can lay down with a run on top to prevent them escaping. You're only other option would be to sink some metal mesh into the ground, so if you have them free range, they can't dig out of your garden.

Have you thought about having them as house rabbits?

Hi
Have you managed to figure out how they escaped this time?
I am sure buster will get used to a hutch and run.Maybe you could just let them out when supervised.I am sure they will be fine:D:D

I've built a custom enclosure for my buns which is 6' x 9', which they have a permanent run of. They then have an attached run onto the grass, which is about the same size, which is for supervised use only. They seem to be fine with this arrangement.

My remaining bunny was originally part of a duo of bunnies that I took in when their owner got fed up with them constantly digging into all the neighbours' gardens and going off all over the place. She obviously liked them to be free range, and that would be great to have continued, but they really couldn't be trusted. When I took them in, I just made sure they had a hutch/run combo, so they were never cooped up in their hutch if they didn't want to be, and they also had a run on grass that they couldn't dig through.

So... I can see what you're saying, about the fact that they would much prefer to be out free ranging all the time, but if they won't stay in your garden, I'm sure they would get used to an enclosed run, or supervised roaming about.

I eventually moved them inside for other reasons, so they had even more space, but they totally took over the house! :lol:

This may be a really really silly thing, but get them a large wooden hutch and maybe build a run to your size requirements or there is an 8ftX4ft run on ebay for little money.
Also i'd maybe get somekind of container and plant loads of grass and cover half the run in this so they can much away and have a little play on that if their feet feel abit painful, also maybe could be an idea to do it throughout the run, or.. put some kind of thing down on the floor.. am i mking sense??
Thought not :lol:

Thankyou everyone, you are all so kind, well I found their escape hole!! The only border in the garden has been fenced off so that is totally secure. I also have a playpen type of thing which consists of 8 x 1 metre panels which you can make into different shapes and sizes its great and Im going to use this in the winter for a run as the days are shorter and they can have more of the garden, my garden is only about 24ft x 16ft, so you see my dilema. Im hoping to get a 6x2 ft double decker hutch, when Ive sold the rablu:roll: Thanks for your help, this is a great forum:D

Last edited:
Back