• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just reported a pet shop!

*fluffybunny*

Warren Scout
I went into a pet shop yesterday and they only had one bunny in but she was housed in a wooden shelf thing which was tiny and it had glass doors on that slide accross. The poor bun was an angora with no hay and hardly any water and was housed on what looked like cat litter! she was also very thin.
The owners had left their children to look after the shop while their mom 'nipped to the shops' and their was a parrott flying free around the shop.
I was discussted so have just reported them to the animal welfare team at birmingham city council. They said they will visit them and let me know the outcome, they said they had to visit them last year as they had another report, this department decide who gets a pet shop licence so lets hope they take theirs off them!!!!! :censored::evil:

Pen x

Hi There.

Welcome to the forum,
Could you pm me which pet shop as I notice you are in the West Mids :)

i have never had a bad experince with a pet shop but once when i gave my rabbit (boy couldent keep him with his sister) to pets at home they said they would make him feel happy and settel him in for 3 days before selling him and i went

then i came back the next day and found that 3 hours after i left they sold him!!!!!!

i have never been happy about that but the living conditions i have never had a problem with :shock:

I went into a pet shop yesterday and they only had one bunny in but she was housed in a wooden shelf thing which was tiny and it had glass doors on that slide accross. The poor bun was an angora with no hay and hardly any water and was housed on what looked like cat litter! she was also very thin.
The owners had left their children to look after the shop while their mom 'nipped to the shops' and their was a parrott flying free around the shop.
I was discussted so have just reported them to the animal welfare team at birmingham city council. They said they will visit them and let me know the outcome, they said they had to visit them last year as they had another report, this department decide who gets a pet shop licence so lets hope they take theirs off them!!!!! :censored::evil:

Pen x

well done for reporting them, sounds awful
Sallyx

i have never had a bad experince with a pet shop but once when i gave my rabbit (boy couldent keep him with his sister) to pets at home they said they would make him feel happy and settel him in for 3 days before selling him and i went

then i came back the next day and found that 3 hours after i left they sold him!!!!!!

i have never been happy about that but the living conditions i have never had a problem with :shock:

That's not good.
We keep our rabbits for 3 days before selling them on, and never sell a rabbit on before.

Hi everyone,

The council have just phoned to say they've been in to the shop and the rabbit had gone. She denied that she left the children alone in the shop for more than i minute and that the rabbit was well looked after! The lady from the council said it was my word against hers and theres nothing she can do apart from 'check on it now and then' oh yes and the stuff that looked like cat litter was cat litter and it was still there, they told the coucil that this is a good bedding for long haired rabbits as it doesn't stick to their bottoms, ive never heard of this, has anyone else???
All in all what a waste of time, i was trying tp help and it got me nowhere and now they know who I am so i can't go back in:evil:

Pen x

Hi everyone,

The council have just phoned to say they've been in to the shop and the rabbit had gone. She denied that she left the children alone in the shop for more than i minute and that the rabbit was well looked after! The lady from the council said it was my word against hers and theres nothing she can do apart from 'check on it now and then' oh yes and the stuff that looked like cat litter was cat litter and it was still there, they told the coucil that this is a good bedding for long haired rabbits as it doesn't stick to their bottoms, ive never heard of this, has anyone else???
All in all what a waste of time, i was trying tp help and it got me nowhere and now they know who I am so i can't go back in:evil:

Pen x

does the pet owner know it was you that told the rspca, if not i would leave it a day or 2 and go back in, to check, i know people use carefree/or carefresh whatever its called for buns i dont know about cats litter though, when i got my long haired buns it was advised to use hay instead of sawdust due to grooming and sticking to fur

I think they would know it was me lol There not a busy shop and i held the bunny and complained about it being too thin and i bet not many people hold animals in there.

I use wood based cat litter for my rabbit, it seems to work well.

Good for you for reporting them.

So you can use it then hun. Well that still doesn't explain why it hardly any water, no hay and was housed in a wooden shelf thing :cry:
I just hope she went to a nice home.

and your bunny is sooo cute! what breed is he/she?

Back