• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are Rabbits Happier With More Than One?

Hey Guys.

I'm starting to freak out, even though its ot at all needed. :oops: I think maybe Coco needs a friend. I've read that rabbits are happier if they have a companion, what do you guys think about that. I've been searching around the site, and it looks like most of you have more than one. He does have a playmate down the street, though, but he doesn't see her that often. And then there's my dog, their love each other... I just don't know what to do! I really want another rabbit... -sigh-

-Miz :bunny:

From all I have read and from experience with my previously single boy, yes, most rabbits are happier, more content and relaxed with a partner :)

Nothing is more lovely than see two bunnies groom each other, lay side by side and run around and binky :love:

Having said that there are perfectly happy single buns, maybe because they simply have not got on with rabbits they have been introduced to or because they have an owner that is at home most of the day that they have bonded to :)

I'd say that if you can afford it, there's nothing to loose to giving it a go and looking for a friend for your bun :)

In the UK many rescue centres do a bonding service where they will bond your bun with one of their rescues that you choose on neutral territory. Also if they do not get on they can try introducing him to other buns they have to see if there are any they are a good match with :)

Do you know if any rescues near you do something like this?

Welcome to RU, by the way :wave:

if hes unneutered i would suggest that you get him done first!!you dont want to wake up one morning and find you dont have 2 buns ,you now have 6:lol:
that would also stop the humping!..it sounds like he would like a girlfriend;)

if hes unneutered i would suggest that you get him done first!!you dont want to wake up one morning and find you dont have 2 buns ,you now have 6:lol:
that would also stop the humping!..it sounds like he would like a girlfriend;)

Ah yes, that is one essential piece of advice I may have missed! :lol:

you are right though nothing beats two buns mutually grooming each other or trying to out binky each other:lol:

Wouldn't it be unfair on him though if he has his bits and feelings. He'd hump his friend all the time. Surely it'd be better to get him done? Just wondering.

Wouldn't it be unfair on him though if he has his bits and feelings. He'd hump his friend all the time. Surely it'd be better to get him done? Just wondering.

even though the doe was spayed and unable to reproduce he would mount her frequantly. not only would this be stressful for her but and could lead to aggression between the two rabbits.
personaly i would get him neutered as well.

I have a single boy bunny and although I believe he is very happy I do intend to go through a rescue to get him a friend. They have said that I should get him neutered first and then they will help with bonding.
I totally understand your hesitation, I feel the same. Why fix something that isn't broken? But all I hear is that they don't like to be lonley and live happier with a friend.
The only reason I got a single bunny in the first place is on the advice of the lady in the pet centre. I have spoken with her recently and she has said that under no circumstances should I try to get him a friend as he would not like it but she is only one person and 80% of people including the RSPCA & my vet have said I should try.
I'll keep you posted. I've booked his op for next week:?

I thought my lovey Tyson was happy on his own until I got him a pal - Bruno. Although they do have little fights every so often (still not worked out who is top bun and they've been together 12 months) he is a much happier bun with a friend. I think he likes having someone to boss about actually :D

I have a single male bunny too and I know he would be happier with a little companion. He visited his sister earlier this year and it was so funny to watch them play and binky together! The problem is my mum lol. She refuses to let me get another bun as we have two hamsters as well and she says she doesn't want more than 3 pets at a time. *sigh* Any suggestions on what I can do to persuade her?

-sigh- I have the same problem, Oompa Loompa. :cry:

UPDATE: I found some female buns near my area in local shelters. I'm already extremely attatched to each and every one of the, especcially this baby male, Kiwi. I talked to my mom about it today, he response was 'abolutely not'. It makes me angry to say, but the truth is that my family already has its fair share of fuzzie friends. My horse, my dog, my toad, Coco, my fish and we may end up fostering an abandoned baby bird. Any idea's on how to persuade her?

Some Of The Cuties I've Found:
(man... I want ALL of them xP)

Blossem- Young Dutch Female-
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=11021420

Savannah- Young Dwarf Female- http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=10760213

KIWI!!!- Baby Holland Lop Mix Male
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=11186602

Peaches- Adult Dutch Female-
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=11186615

YET ANOTHER UPDATE:
Photos of Coco are coming soon! ^___^ My camera is being demented, though.... :?

my oh didn't want another bun. Tyson went to stay at Bunnyhop Hotel while we went on holiday and made friends with Bruno thru the bars of the runs. So when I got back we decided to bond them and the rest is history. Now oh loves them both as much as I do (well possibly not as much but certainly loads). When I told him how happy Tyson was to have a pal he relented :)

I have experience of owning single and bonded pairs of buns and have to say that owning two rabbits is not much different to owning one in many ways. This is certainly what I have found. I certainly wouldn't say it doubles the work or expense as you might think it does! If you have a fairly big hutch and run the new bunny could live in that alongside Coco once bonded - you don't necessarily NEED to double the amount of space although that would be very nice. You will be cleaning your rabbit out every day at the moment anyway so another buns poo doesn't make much difference to the daily cleaning ritual, they would share bedding and the only extras would be more food but in the summer months you can make use of the free food on offer in the garden. There is extra expense in getting a second bunny vaccinated every year and the vets treatments but from personal only experience I've found that this small expense is far outweighed by the joy we humans get at seeing a successfully bonded pair.

I've also found that bonded (and both neutered) pairs: chew less out of boredom (the things you don't want chewing like hutches), don't wee in places you don't want them to, are easier to litter train, are happier to be left for longer periods without you feeling guilty, are less agressive, more chilled, less likely to be agressive and become even bigger characters when in a pair as their single characteristics show through even more. Just watching a bonded pair together is amazing!

So you can see - I'm a true believer in bonded bunnies!

Good luck with your decision.

taken me 4 years but mine being done tomorrow ready for his new gf (fingers crossed he know i have other buns and he knows when i havent got any after they go to there forever home and his attitude changes too, im jst petrified he wont come out of GA :(

I really hate my mum right now..I mean 3 pets! That's nothing! One more wouldn't make that big of a difference. I want Boris to have a rabbit friend. I always feel terrible when I leave him alone :cry:

Back