• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stray Rabbit? What shouuld i do?

andywest

New Kit
Hi all, this is my first post on here as i have an issue i would like some help with and here is the story.

A couple of weeks ago, possibly about a month, there were two rabbits loose on my street. having not long moved in i knocked on a few doors to see if anyone knew who's rabbits they may be but no one knew who's they could be. So i thought i'll just leave it and someone will come looking for them eventually.

A couple of days passed and one of them was still hanging round and i don't know where the other one had gone to, unfortunately i fear the worst, so we tried to catch the one rabbit that was left. However the little thing is quicker then i could ever hope to be and he dissapeared out of our road and could not be found.

Fast forward to sunday just gone and me and my fiance came home and i saw a little bunny head poking under our fence from our back garden, so i went round the back and where i have a shed waiting to be built leaning against the fence the rabbit looks to be taking refuge from the bad weather where there are gaps for him to sit in.

So since we saw him he hasn't really left the proximity of our house he happily grazes on our front and back lawns and sits under the car for a little shade (Prompting me to get on my knees everytime i go to drive my car in case "Roger" is there). So i thought rather than just trying to catch him this time i will start putting out bits of carrot and offering bits to him to try and get him used to me so i can catch him easier. But now i am worried is this the right thing to do or should i phone someone like the RSPCA.

So the question is really after all that typing, what should i do?

Hiya :wave:

I would try and get him in a carrier or a box (with holes in) and call the RSPCA - at least then he's not going where he pleases and you don't lose him.

Carrot and Apple might tempt him (my Kiki LOVES apple and will do anything for it) while he's chomping stroke and put your hand on his bum, the other under him and put him in the carrier - the closer the carrier is the better as he'll probably squirm! :D

x Would def then get the RSPCA around

The RSPCA might be able to lend you a humane trap that you could use to catch him. (The type you put food in and the door swings shut).

I Live in Norton, near stockton-on-tees. And yeah i've discovered he/she loves apples, if i throw a segment halfway down between the panels he'll hop up grab it and then hops back down the other end, where i cant reach him/her, to eat it. Here's a quick photo sorry it's blurry but the camera focused on the panels instead of the rabbit.

roger001.jpg

Looks like an English Spot rabbit! Lovely buns :)

You could put the box down on one side and put some apple in.. if she gets close enough tap her bum and she should go forward.. looking at the pic she should be able to slip through the gap to the box and get the food (just put the apple deep in the box so she's further in)

Hopefully this works (fingers-crossed) I would phone the RSPCA in the meantime x

I wouldnt know what to do so i am afraid I am not much help,although I think you are getting quite fond of him.Maybe you could get a large container and fill it with hay and put it near the fence panels,I wonder if it could be female and pregnant as you said there were origionally two buns????
I hope you manange to catch it :wave:

Thanks for the advice everyone, i have tried ringing the local branch of the RSPCA this afternoon and all of there humane traps are already out trying to catch cats apparently.

I think i may go to a pet shop on the way home and bby some straw and grab a carboard box or something and try that way.

Thanks for the advice everyone, i have tried ringing the local branch of the RSPCA this afternoon and all of there humane traps are already out trying to catch cats apparently.

I think i may go to a pet shop on the way home and bby some straw and grab a carboard box or something and try that way.

Good idea - you could get hay instead of straw - the bun can chew on the hay and might distract her a bit. Would put some small holes in the top and a couple at the top of each side she may also appreciate some water too.

Good luck! x

Theres already a dish of water out :D my Fiance called me a big softy as soon as she saw what i'd done. :lol: Hay it is then, if things go to plan we may end up with a pet rabbit and then my old shed with some modification may become a bun house.

Theres already a dish of water out :D my Fiance called me a big softy as soon as she saw what i'd done. :lol: Hay it is then, if things go to plan we may end up with a pet rabbit and then my old shed with some modification may become a bun house.

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sounds like you may :lol: It's hard when I see a bun at Pets @ Home or a rescue every time I want them all!

Bunnies can be addictive y'know - they can be funny little things :)

ooh yes - and then you will need a good rabbit vet (get advice on here on where a local one is), and some good quality rabbit pellets (Excell is good), and lots and lots and lots of super super hay (not the rubbish stuff from supermarkets).

And then you will need lots and lots of love . . . .but thats ok because you'll get that back again in heaps!

There's nothing like the rabbit that adopted you rather than the other way round!!! It makes you feel extra special. (thanks Parsley)

having tried recently to catch a rabbit that didn't want to be caught I know how difficult it is. Can you sort of corner the little chap so that he has go way out other than into your hands. I use large pieces of plywood so I can trap mine when they are being naughty and won't go into their shed at night. I put a piece of plywood on one side and me on the other (not sure that makes sense). You will probably never catch him trying to grab him - even my tame buns refuse to allow me to do that. In my experience the RSPCA don't really want to help as they have too many rabbits already so if you are willing to take Roger in then I think that's a great idea.
Huge towels or bed covers are also sometimes ok as you can throw it over him. A word of warning though once he knows what you are up to he'll be even more inventive at getting away. Let us know what happens
- dusk is a great time as he'll be more active then :wave:

I'd say you need one person to hide behind the panels and wait, ready to catch the bun (hands poised)... then person no.2 needs to try throwing food out so that the bunny would have to just poke out to get the food... then person no. 1 (hiding behind the panels) would need to pin the bunny down and scoop it up - it sounds harsh, but you've not got much choice!
good luck :wave:

having tried recently to catch a rabbit that didn't want to be caught I know how difficult it is. Can you sort of corner the little chap so that he has go way out other than into your hands. I use large pieces of plywood so I can trap mine when they are being naughty and won't go into their shed at night. I put a piece of plywood on one side and me on the other (not sure that makes sense). You will probably never catch him trying to grab him - even my tame buns refuse to allow me to do that. In my experience the RSPCA don't really want to help as they have too many rabbits already so if you are willing to take Roger in then I think that's a great idea.
Huge towels or bed covers are also sometimes ok as you can throw it over him. A word of warning though once he knows what you are up to he'll be even more inventive at getting away. Let us know what happens
- dusk is a great time as he'll be more active then :wave:

:lol: I couldn't put it better myself - as soon as they have an idea of what you're doing they get very stubborn :lol:

Just wanted to say I really hope you manage to catch this little bun before mr fox comes along.

I managed to catch a wild bun last week, but I think that was down to luck rather than skill!

wow! small world! I'm from Norton too, but I'm all the way down in Milton Keynes now :roll:so not much use to you :lol:

Have you got or could you borrow some wire panels? then ask foir help and have people hold them up to create a run with an open end near the bun..then gradually round it up:?..also a large sheet to throw over it sometimes works

:wave:Hi Andywest, I guess as we haven't heard from you for a while that you're still out trying to catch "Roger" :lol:. Just like to wish you and your fiance luck with this. He's a lovely looking bun.

Back