• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice re trip away....

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
Guys, im constantly asking for advice, i know, but i do appreciate it.....

Im planning on going to a holiday lodge with kermit (and chris!! (tomhighway!!)) this weekend, ive just had this thought that there might be wild rabbits about.....now kermit has had his myxi jag, but not VHD (he was scheduled in but fell ill)....do you think it will be ok to take him....he will be indoors all the time, apart from car to lodge and back again, and we will take shoes off at the door if we have been out and wash before we get him out his cage just incase.

Its not an option to get his VHD just now, as the vet wants to give him time to get back to 100%

Just wanting second / third.......etc etc etc opinion....please :) xx kirsty xx

How long is the journey?

To be honest, if he's not well enough to have his VHD, I would be worried that he's not well enough to go on a "trip".

Sorry, if that's not what you wanted to hear. Have you thought about boarding?

The journey is only an hour away.....he travels that to the vets and back, which fair enough he doesnt like, but im sure he would like boarding less....

Its mainly the VHD thing im worried about...any advice on that?

With regards preventing infection, see this quote from the US House Rabbit Society website:

How VHD is spread

As was mentioned, VHD is highly contagious. It can be spread by:

* Contact of a rabbit with inanimate objects contaminated by the virus (i.e. via fomites). Such object would include clothing, shoes, and car and truck tires.
* Direct contact of a rabbit with an infected rabbit or the feces of an infected rabbit.
* Contact with rabbit products such as fur, meat or wool from infected rabbits.
* Insects, birds, and animals such as rodents are known to spread the virus by acting as indirect hosts. They can transport the disease, for example, from an infected rabbit to an unaffected rabbit.
* Humans can spread the virus to their rabbits if they have been in contact with infected rabbits or in contact with objects contaminated by the virus, including feces from an infected rabbit.

How to Protect Your Rabbits

* House your rabbits indoors. We strongly suggest that they be kept indoors, or in enclosed environments. Rabbits who live or exercise outdoors are more at risk for contracting this disease.
* Wash your hands thoroughly before handling your rabbits, particularly when you come home from places where other rabbits may have been, or where people who have been in contact with rabbits may have been. This would include places such as feed stores, pet stores, fair grounds, humane societies, etc.
* Change your clothes and wash your hands after handling or coming in contact with rabbits. Wash these clothes twice in hot water before you wear them around your rabbit.
* If you volunteer at a shelter, then have some special clothes and shoes that you wear only at the shelter. You may want to wear plastic bags over your shoes, secured with a rubber band. When you leave the shelter, remove the bags and dispose of them before you get into your car, making sure not to touch the outside of the bag. Follow clothes laundering instructions above, and shoe disinfecting instructions below. This protects the shelter rabbits as well as your own. The same considerations apply to anyone who sees rabbits at work and also has rabbits at home.
* Adopt a "no shoes in the house" policy, or keep your bunnies from running in high traffic areas of your home. To disinfect shoes that may have been contaminated, you need to place the shoes in a foot bath that contains one of the following: 10% bleach solution, 2% 1-Stroke Disinfectant, Parvosol, or parvoviricide disinfectant. You may wish to speak with your veterinarian about how to obtain these. The shoes must be in contact with the disinfectant for at least ten minutes. The foot bath is recommended as it is important that during the ten minute disinfection time that the disinfectant remains wet. Merely spraying shoes with disinfectant and leaving them to dry is not effective.
* Know your sources of hay and feed and if they are near areas of any outbreaks.
* Minimize insects in your home by installing window and door screens. Eliminate mosquitoes and flies from your home.
* Quarantine any new rabbit for 5 days. Always handle quarantined rabbits last, and keep all supplies for them separate from your other rabbit’s supplies.
* To disinfect objects, use one of the disinfectants above, remembering that it must stay in contact with the item and remain wet for at least ten minutes.

Your best bet is to throughly wash your hands when you have been outside, leave shoes outside or on the porch and even change your clothes :)

Thanks, what i thought, but just wanted a double check.....

when it boils down to it, i suppose i could bring this in to my kermit when he is in the house on a normal day, so i suppose a change of scenery should make no odds.....if anything its maybe made me realise that i should be more careful in the house.

Thanks again

Back