• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House bunnies and heating.

babybunnies3

Alpha Buck
People that have house bunnies in their living area how do you manage with the heating?

Do you freeze all winter or have it on low??

Last edited:
I know that some people keep their on low - however after watching my houserabbits stretched in front of the gas fire - and in fact pointedly coming and nudging me to PUT it on when I have left it off - I just heat as I would normally!!

Thanks for that, I'm considering keeping meggie as an only house bun, she's one and a half now and has been outside up till now and I wondered how other peoples buns coped.

Any more? :wave:

We just heat as normal-which is on low and not very often anyway as wed rather wrap up in jumpers...never had a problem with it, if anything they hate getting a bit nippy

i heat as normal.. but i do have a fan if the room temperature goes over 25degrees but thats only ever used in the summer

we have our heating as normal but the radiator in the bunnies room is turned off unless it gets really cold in which case i put it on low the landing doesnt have a radiator so they dont get heated there either :) and as they only have their room and the landing they are ok....although they do occasioally roam the bathroom although not often and when it was colder i quite often found duchess sprawled out on the heated floor so i dont think it bothers them much :roll::lol:

we have ours on as usual..the frenchies are ont he lino floor and have their tent and they sprawl in frot of the radiators..bertie was an 18 month old outside bun and now when he feels cold he sits ad nudges the radiators:lol:
the littlies were living sperately but on floor level and they got cold even with the heating on.....not as fat and hairy as bertie n willow:lol:

plus the frenhcies have ourt wo dim cats who snuggle up with them both and go to sleep..its funny to see.

floor level is always cold in our hosue cos of draughts form doors etc that are meat to be draught proof plus the sliding doors let a lot of cold in despite the adjustments made..cos the porch is like a freezer! unless as now its a furnace!

my old bun loved a cat bed beside the radiator..but it had to be raised a little to avoid the draught...he was a mini lop..and sooooo pampered...his dog crate was full of blankets...a cuddle cup bed..a lay nleap padded armchair and all his cuddly toys..and we put a layer of cardboard box aorud the edge to keep the draughts off:oops::lol:

if they get hot they always find somehwere to snooze thats the cold spot in the room..not hard in the uk!

We heat as usual - the good thing about this place from the PoV of the bunnies is that the living room (where they all are) always stays cooler than the rest of the house. That way it stays cool in summer, and cold in winter unless we put the heating on (which we do) - because we like it warm in winter it means we can heat the rest of the flat to the temperature we like without worrying that bunnies will get too hot.

AMETHYST

I put the heating on normal and Misty seems to thrive in it, she lies under her hutch by the radiator. I suppose all bunnies are different though.

tilly seemed fine wiv the heating as normal... tho now she lives outside i notice she dosnt drink nearly as much water... so maybe she was feeling a bit hot?

*gives you a funny look* Why would I not put it on? And what's the point in putting it on if it's only on low?

I keep my house the same temperature all year through. My rabbits hate the cold as much as I do.

*gives you a funny look* Why would I not put it on? And what's the point in putting it on if it's only on low?

Cus I'm always reading that heat bothers bunnies more than the cold and if its on low then you would get some heat but not too hot for the bunnies.
I'm very new to the house bunny thing so asking questions! :lol:

In the winter, I have the heating up mega high (I feel the cold and have to have it warm!!) and sophie has always been absolutely fine :D

Back