• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tick, fleas and fly strike drops

amycraig66

Warren Scout
Hey,

My bunny has just turned 4 months and the vets gave me these drops called Xenex to put on the back of his neck to keep ticks, fleas and flystrike away. The weight chart said to put 15 drops on him, which seemed a lot. I put less than that on and he hated it!! Didnt stop scratching and trying desperately to clean his neck. I felt soooo bad. When I called the vet he said to wash it off and when I did I saw that his neck wasn't red. i think he just hated the drops. Has anyone elses bun had this reaction? The vet said the only other thing to keep fleas away is drops too and I think he will react the same way. What to do?
Below is a piccie of Alfie, he's so cute! :)

Alfie41.jpg

Yes, sadly that reaction is very common with Xenex, I wouldn't advise anybody to use it. I'm glad that you told your vet, so he can report what happened to the manufacturer

He is cute isn't he!!!! God I wish I knew that this reaction was common, i feel so guilty putting him through it. Poor boy.

simba has had some xenex drops before for mites and had no reaction.. however a few weeks ago i noticed the white flakes again.. sign of mites.. so put some more drops on that i still had from previous time. This time he continually chewed and licked at the area and made all his fur matt up. The skin wasnt red but something obviously irritated him.
You dont need to treat rabbits like you do cats for fleas normally. Unless you notice fleas on your rabbits i wouldnt worry about it. If they get mites the first line of treatment is usually some injections

tick fleas and fly strike drops

my bunny was leaping round the cage going mental so i thought she had fleas and i used Xeno 450 that the vet prescribed, it was quite expensive but you just empty out the whole tube onto the back of the neck. two weeks later i put another one on and now she is fine with no allergic reaction at all. so i am going to use that every month now.:)

i used it on my dutch who had a bad reaction to it. it looked like he had been burned the hair droped out in clumps and took months to regrow. none of my other rabbits have had to the same problem. xenex did get rid of a very persistant flea problem (shampoo and several other 'spoton' products had had minimal effect) i would use it only as a last resort though

Chelsea had a severe reaction to Xenex- was put on as a preventative against mozzies/fleas . Her neck was red raw and was like burns. difficult stuff to wash off to as water spreads it and makes it worse and you can't rub the area either. -dreadful stuff!! never again. She suffered badly but is OK now. The instructions say to put it on the bare skin but I think thats a mistake and it may not cause a reaction on fur. Seems like many rabbits have a problem with it so why do they still use it?-Sue

Back