• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Testing for EC?

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
I dont know whether or not to have Rhia EC tested. I know what it entails I think, three seperate tests etc? It depends on whether the bloods they are doing today show anything up, but if not its definately something I want to consider. Her symptoms point very strongly to cuniculi...but theres some doubt there :? Wish I'd had a pm done on Jen now, but I just cant bring myself to do it X

You had Rhia on panacur when she came here - did she stay on it for 28 days?

When Bouncer was tested - they kept him in for the day, but when he came home, I started panacur for 6 weeks on him & all my other buns. It took about 10 days for Bouncer's lab results to come back as confirmed EC.

I'm going to treat for 28 days annually now.

I think you should get her tested as all of your bunnies get ill and something like this could be present in one way or another :thumb: Not meaning to sound nasty here and I hope that what I have said doesn't get taken the wrong way its just all your bunnies are so young when you have lost them there has to be something happening :(

I dont know whether or not to have Rhia EC tested. I know what it entails I think, three seperate tests etc? It depends on whether the bloods they are doing today show anything up, but if not its definately something I want to consider. Her symptoms point very strongly to cuniculi...but theres some doubt there :? Wish I'd had a pm done on Jen now, but I just cant bring myself to do it X

As you say to get EC testing does require at least 3 seperate blood tests. Although if a Bun presents with typical EC symptoms ( headtilt, urinary incontinence, hind leg paresis etc ) and one blood test gives a high titre for EC then it can be assumed active infection is present.

Do I recall you mentioning that Rhia previously had some problem with passing unformed 'cowpat like' caecotrophs and that she had also started to eat newspaper ? If it wasn't Rhia I am obviously getting her mixed up with another Bun on here......:rolleyes:

Anyways, if Rhia did have these issues then I wonder if your Vet has considered that Rhia may have problem with her bowels ( Megacolon )

Janex

I would save putting her through the tests and treat her and other bun anyway..if you put off treating her to wait for the results the symptoms will get worse..so just panacur her but for 6 weeks..a course of baytril also and probiotics :D..Hope she improves

I'd also be inclined to treat for it anyway. I agree with Honeybunny, as you really don't want to wait for results if the Panacur might help her symptoms.

Finding this thread very interesting. So sorry to hear you are still having health issues with the buns Becki.

What is the best method to disinfect hutch/run if a bunny that has been staying with you goes on to be confirmed as having EC? Currently scrub out hutches with Virkon, would this be sufficient in such a case?

Finding this thread very interesting. So sorry to hear you are still having health issues with the buns Becki.

What is the best method to disinfect hutch/run if a bunny that has been staying with you goes on to be confirmed as having EC? Currently scrub out hutches with Virkon, would this be sufficient in such a case?

Bleach or steam cleaning is the only way to kill EC spores. Veterinary grade disinfectants such as Virkon and Trigene are not effective against it.

Thanks for that Sooz, thankfully I do scrub all the accommodation with bleach between buns coming and going (Virkon with each clean out) but it's good to know that this is the recommended method of cleaning in this instance.

Thanks for the replies. The test would be for us to actually know that this is the case, not to see whether or not to treat it. Rhia has been treated with Panacur already recently, but they have started her on Lapizole as the bunny-savy vet that saw her the other day wasnt happy about the panacur being an actual cure. I think thats basically what she said, I was a mess. EC has been a possibility with the last two rabbits I have lost, they had quite similar symptoms, but they got ill & never recovered whereas Rhia is poorly then seemingly recovers fully. Would the EC show up in a blood test then Jane? Because they are already being done today - would it just be a case of two more bloods done? Their accomodation has been bleached numerous times, but if it is a bacteria or something then theres no way I could possibly rid it from the whole of the garden & house (all of which the rabbits have access to). My last two girls didnt have a great deal of fight in them, and they were very ill non-stop - Rhia is very young & is a heck of a fighter, so I am going to move mountains to get her cured, or at least find out what it is. Jane, its Daniel with the horrific poops - pretty much 100% stress related as they were bad from moving to several different places, and have just started again now since he stayed at the vets, and now Rhia isnt with him. She was eating newspaper though, never ever seen her do it before but the morning i found her ill she sat there eating it like it was food - she must've eaten half a sheet of newspaper! XX

Thanks for the replies. The test would be for us to actually know that this is the case, not to see whether or not to treat it. Rhia has been treated with Panacur already recently, but they have started her on Lapizole as the bunny-savy vet that saw her the other day wasnt happy about the panacur being an actual cure. I think thats basically what she said, I was a mess. EC has been a possibility with the last two rabbits I have lost, they had quite similar symptoms, but they got ill & never recovered whereas Rhia is poorly then seemingly recovers fully. Would the EC show up in a blood test then Jane? Because they are already being done today - would it just be a case of two more bloods done?

Panacur & Lapizole both contain the same concentration of the same active ingrediant :? :? :?

Rhia needs a titre test for EC antibodies, if they are just running a blood profile this isn't a standard test within that.

Panacur & Lapizole both contain the same concentration of the same active ingrediant :? :? :?

Rhia needs a titre test for EC antibodies, if they are just running a blood profile this isn't a standard test within that.

Mmm, she did say that...I cant remember why she wanted to use lapizole. Actually dont think they have started it yet because supposed to wait for a certain time or something. Right a titre test, I'll find out about that. Im going to collect her now, think it'll be a nurse who discharges her but will leave a message for Zoe to call me X

Bleach or steam cleaning is the only way to kill EC spores. Veterinary grade disinfectants such as Virkon and Trigene are not effective against it.

Yes exactly and, not wanting to scaremonger, that does worry me about vets. There is always a possibility that mine contracted EC when they were being spayed at the vets.

With Bouncer's EC, I was told that even with a 6 week course - the symptoms he had (incontinence), would probably never go.

Yes exactly and, not wanting to scaremonger, that does worry me about vets. There is always a possibility that mine contracted EC when they were being spayed at the vets.

Same. It also worries me that these products are also ineffective against Coccidia too.....maybe it's something to do with protozoa's....

With Bouncer's EC, I was told that even with a 6 week course - the symptoms he had (incontinence), would probably never go.

That's because it cannot undo any damage that has already been done, just attempt to prevent anymore damage.

Hi Becki, I am now treating Chance for 6 weeks as, as you know, EC was mentioned with Princesses death. Interestingly, she has always had cow pat type poos, even when I got her it had been an existed problem for last owner. i would like to know what took my Princess, but there seem to be so many ideas and I didn't want to put her through a post mortem.

Buns are fragile creatures and often die young due to the nature of their species. You are a fantastic bunny mum and always have your buns best interests at heart. If you are putting both buns on a course of Panacur then what benefit will the tests be? Is there something else they can do to help with EC if it is active?

Hugs hun, I know this must be hard for you.

Back