• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent - Lobelia - how unsafe????

honey61

Mama Doe
Just found Roo munching his way through a tray of lobelia :shock: despite putting out of reach (so I thought)

Does anyone know how "unsafe" it is & what I should give him immediately to counteract it?

Just had a quick look on Google, it says it is poisonous and a skin irritant, except for bedding lobelia. I would call the vets, they can call the london poisons unit if you are concerned.

I called the vets just before I posted here & was told to "keep an eye on him". Said there was nothing that could be given :cry:

I've been googling too & reading all sorts....

When you say "bedding lobelia" (forgive my ignorance) do you mean the plugs you buy for hanging baskets etc?

I thought all Lobelia was bedding, unless the trailing type is different.

Silly bunny I hope its all ok though.

I thought all Lobelia was bedding, unless the trailing type is different.

Silly bunny I hope its all ok though.

I honestly haven't a clue either!

Little devil, I had placed it 6ft up out of reach & its been there for 2 weeks.... & he picked this morning to find a way to it :shock:

I'm trying to keep him awake & eating, in the hope that it will pass through his digestive system quicker.... he's getting fed up though now & wants to sleep.

Is he acting any differently? Does he normally sleep now? Hopefully he will be fine. My naughty Dylan gave me close to heart failure at the weekend when he jumped onto his hutch then scaled the 6ft garden fence climbed into next doors garden, survived the 6ft sheer drop the other side and was happily munching on her geraniums!! Luckily he is fine neither the drop nor the poisonous geraniums effected him.

I had a bun ate an entire borderful of lobelia once many years ago before I knew it was poisonous - with no ill effects! It sounds as if you just need to keep an eye on him for now, hopefully he will be ok!

The 2 common types of lobelia are:

1. the perennial type that dies back in winter and regrows in spring...flowers usually red in colour. I would call this type herbaceous rather than a 'bedding' plant.

2. The annual blue/white/purple type usually grown in containers or hanging baskets, which I would call a bedding plant.

Both have sap which can irritate the skin, although I don't know if either are poisonous as such.

Yes, he normally goes for his siesta between 11 & 3.

Since his "snack" :roll: at 8.30, I have got him to eat, dandelion leaves, some celery & curly kale, timothy hay, oat hay & some pellets... in the vain hope the more he eats, the quicker it'll come out the other end :)

He seems ok in himself, not too hot or cold, eyes OK, no discharge or drooling from nose or mouth, seems with it...but fed up with me!

The 2 common types of lobelia are:

1. the perennial type that dies back in winter and regrows in spring...flowers usually red in colour. I would call this type herbaceous rather than a 'bedding' plant.

2. The annual blue/white/purple type usually grown in containers or hanging baskets, which I would call a bedding plant.

Both have sap which can irritate the skin, although I don't know if either are poisonous as such.

It was number 2 he ate... the plug was about 2 inch square & he's munched 4 inches in height, so not a huge amount

Is he acting any differently? Does he normally sleep now? Hopefully he will be fine. My naughty Dylan gave me close to heart failure at the weekend when he jumped onto his hutch then scaled the 6ft garden fence climbed into next doors garden, survived the 6ft sheer drop the other side and was happily munching on her geraniums!! Luckily he is fine neither the drop nor the poisonous geraniums effected him.

:shock::shock::shock: No wonder you nearly had heart failure! Glad he is fine though :D

I think as said before it mainly irritates the skin so could cause mouth & digestive transit ulcers but probably not in such small amounts, best thing you can do is keep an eye on his eating & make sure he gets lots of fluids to help everything slide down.

Yes, he normally goes for his siesta between 11 & 3.

Since his "snack" :roll: at 8.30, I have got him to eat, dandelion leaves, some celery & curly kale, timothy hay, oat hay & some pellets... in the vain hope the more he eats, the quicker it'll come out the other end :)

He seems ok in himself, not too hot or cold, eyes OK, no discharge or drooling from nose or mouth, seems with it...but fed up with me!

Now if he was a guinea pig he'd be your friend for life after that lot :lol:!

Thank you all for your replies. I'll keep a close eye on him.....

At the moment he is busy in the office shredding some architects drawings :lol::lol:

Back