• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Friend has a poorly bunster...Help?! U/D been to the vets....:roll:

...ok, one of my friends has come to me for advice because her bunny is sick. And apart from Go to the Vet i have no other ideas. I've been round to see him but I don't know what to suggest.

The little cutie is around 9 weeks old. He has seems to have a bloated tummy and is grinding his teeth. We managed to get him to eat some greens and the grinding noise was really loud while eating.

I was guessing it was his teeth, but I know rabbits grind when in pain. She said he's not as active as he normally is but he is moving around. His little tummy is so round. Could it be worms? do rabbits get worms? Or a blockage?!
He is peeing (i was checked his bum and it was a bit gooey so I cleaned it and the lil b*gger peed on me :roll: )

I thought he looked quite squinty.

Is there anything we can do apart from getting him to the vets tonight??

I have Baytril and some Rehydration salts here.

H xx

Last edited:
Because he's so young I have no reservations at all in saying that the bun needs the vet ... asap! Hope everything works out well - thinking of you all.

is he pooing? if his tummy is bloated and he's doing the painful grind i wouldn't hesitate getting to the vets. poor lamb, hope he's okay xx

edit - have you tried warm water and tummy rubs?

Last edited:
Baby buns often get Mucoid Enteropathy. Speedy vet treatment is needed because it's often deadly. :(

I'll try to find some links for you

I agree if he's grinding his teeth he is in a lot of pain and beyond hit and miss home remedies - he needs a vet asap. Good Luck.x

I told her to get him to he vets last night. Had a phonecall this morning saying she couldn't get him there, so could I take him over this morning :roll: I can't exactly say no.

So O/h is having to come back from work to take me to pick up the bun to take it to the vets.

Note to self, don't get involved again.

H xx

The bunnie (davy) has been to the vets.

The vet reckons it's a "stasis of some sort" :?

So he's on Pro-Lapis, Baytril and he's had a gut stimulant, anti biotics and a multi-vitamin jab. Plenty of fluids. and he's going back tomorrow, if he makes it, but saying that I expected him to be gone this morning.

Here's the best bit. She doesn't want the bunnies anymore (there is two of them davy and jonny) I've paid for the vet bill and taken on 2 extra bunnies. :roll: :censored: :censored: I couldn't just leave them.
She doesn't like the fact that the vet bill came to £72 (too expensive for a rabbit :evil: )

So i've brought them home with me and put them in a new home and the poorly bun is munching on some hay.

So...yeah. That's my morning so far :roll: can I go to work now for a break!?

H xx

oh dear :shock: are you going to try and rehome them then? I'm sure if you PM SOAD you could put them on rabbits in need since they've been dumped on you.

Baby bunny needs just hay and water - absolutely no veggies or grass as that's probably what caused it to bloat up - they can't digest it at that age if it's a new food, and hold off giving any more till he's much older as well - he'll now be oversensitive to it. Hope he recovers - if he's eating hay that's good!

If you get some infacol (baby wind medicine) that can help with gassy tummies too - just 1ml every hour if they are off their food.

SOME PEOPLE ARE UNBELIEVEABLE. I dont think any of my friends would dare to tell me a rabbit wasn't worth £72 and if they did and palmed a vet bill onto me then they wouldn't be friends of mine anymore :evil:

Poor bunnies :cry:

I cant believe some people. When you get rabbits or any pets you have to be prepared for the expensive vets bills. I spent over £100 in less than 2 weeks on my poor Bobby, who unfortunately passed away, but i didnt complain or decide I didnt want the rabbits anymore thats just part of it. Im so pleased she has a friend like you other wise I dread to think what the poor bunnies would have gone through.

The bunnie (davy) has been to the vets.

The vet reckons it's a "stasis of some sort" :?

So he's on Pro-Lapis, Baytril and he's had a gut stimulant, anti biotics and a multi-vitamin jab. Plenty of fluids. and he's going back tomorrow, if he makes it, but saying that I expected him to be gone this morning.

Here's the best bit. She doesn't want the bunnies anymore (there is two of them davy and jonny) I've paid for the vet bill and taken on 2 extra bunnies. :roll: :censored: :censored: I couldn't just leave them.
She doesn't like the fact that the vet bill came to £72 (too expensive for a rabbit :evil: )

So i've brought them home with me and put them in a new home and the poorly bun is munching on some hay.

So...yeah. That's my morning so far :roll: can I go to work now for a break!?

H xx

What an unbelievable :censored: If she's not willing to pay the vet bill then she needs a right talking to.

I hope someone puts a brick through her car windscreen or something of similar value :evil:

I know. It's a good job I'm soft really :roll: So I have another financial burden, but I couldn't just say no. How could I?

He's just had some water (he takes it from a syringe so well) and I've also renamed them to Rambo (poorly bun) and Pidgeon :)

It looks like it's baked beans on toast for a week til I get paid :shock:

Vibes PLEASE!!!! *pleads on knees!*

H xx

crikey, Heidi! did she just refuse to pay the bill then? i'd say £72 was quite cheap considering some of the things i've seen here.

i'm glad you've saved them though, gawd knows how lax she treated them before if she runs at the first sign of trouble. :roll:

i'd get her to pay you back!

i think £72 is fine.....if she's not willing to pay a vet, then she shouldnt get a pet to begin with!

and i agree, i would ditch any friend that acted like that

Back